Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Michael Goulish <mg...@redhat.com> on 2021/02/16 18:53:04 UTC

Router Throughput vs Buffer Size -- 11 data points (2nd try)

I keep forgetting that I can't include images.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9sbe4cbh3mddo4/buffer_vs_throughput.jpg?dl=0>
Here it is.
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9sbe4cbh3mddo4/buffer_vs_throughput.jpg?dl=0>

I'm afraid there's not much of any knee in this curve.

By the way, CPU was almost unaffected.
Actually it improved slightly, from 208% at 512 byte buffer,
to 195 for buf=2048  to 191 for buf=3072 and above.

Re: Router Throughput vs Buffer Size -- 11 data points (2nd try)

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
Http2 adaptor uses 16k (or so) -byte buffers between the adaptor and proton
raw connection. The TCP adaptor could probably use the http2 buffering scheme
and amortize the cost of doing a buffer copy between the 16k byte buffers and
the normal dispatch buffers by doing fewer scheduling turns and still be way
ahead.

Vectored IO would be an improvement to any buffer size.

Dispatch's choice of 512-byte buffers is probably due for a revisit. Simply
changing that to 2k, and adjusting any number of assumptions based on the
512-byte size, could provide a simple and effective boost to busy router
performance.

Posted by Michael Goulish <mg...@redhat.com>.
Yes, this was with iperf3 -- I will see what I can do with AMQP.

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@apache.org>.
Thanks for this Mick,