Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jean Hollis Weber <je...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/03 03:17:28 UTC

User guide licensing (was: Refactoring the brand)

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 20:43 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Jean Hollis Weber <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 10:52 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

> >> That was something else entirely, ODFAuthors.org, a site that is
> >> external to Apache.  We're not discussing that right now.  What we're
> >> discussing is the content at wiki.services.openoffice.org, which we
> >> are planning to be part of the Apache OpenOffice project. Two
> >> different things.
> >
> > *I* was talking about the docs produced by ODFAuthors, in my note quoted
> > below, and I asked a question that was not answered; the answer was
> > about the material directly edited on the wiki, not about the material I
> > asked about.
> >

> From licensing perspective it is the same, whether it is content in
> wikitext or content in attachments to a wiki page.  The thing that
> would be different would be links to content on external sites.
>
> If that is not answering your question, maybe you should restate, with
> a link to a specific example.

The user guides are dual-licensed under CC-BY and GPL, and the past
contributors have obviously agreed to those licenses. They have not
agreed to the Apache license, and most of them cannot be found to ask if
they agree. We can't just relicense the books under the Apache license.

What you have said tells me that those books cannot be attachments on a
Apache-OOo wiki page. Is that correct? If so, then we can host them
elsewhere and link to them from the wiki.

Does this also mean that the guides cannot be part of the official
documentation set? That's okay with me (not sure what other contributors
think), but it seems less than ideal for the project.

Examples of the existing user guides can be downloaded from this page
and pages linked to it:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters

--Jean

RE: User guide licensing (was: Refactoring the brand)

Posted by Jean Hollis Weber <je...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 15:17 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Jean,
>
> Thanks for the links.
>
> My analysis is based on <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters>
> and related pages.
>
> Note: The Draw Guide material, which is apparently being updated as we speak, is apparently now V3.3, not 3.2.  Also, the Math Guide claims publication on 2011-04-28 and being applicable to V3.3, so the information on the download page appears to be out of date as well.

Thanks for catching the typos in those two headings. I've now fixed
them. --Jean

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Jean,

Thanks for the links.

My analysis is based on <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters>
and related pages.

Note: The Draw Guide material, which is apparently being updated as we speak, is apparently now V3.3, not 3.2.  Also, the Math Guide claims publication on 2011-04-28 and being applicable to V3.3, so the information on the download page appears to be out of date as well.

 - Dennis

ANALYSIS OF THE WAY COPYRIGHT AND LICENSING ARE HANDLED FOR THE USER GUIDES:

 1. The web page has a Wiki:Copyright links which states, as we have noted before, a common notice page that says

  "Copyright 1999, 2010 by the contributing authors and Oracle and/or its affiliates.

  "Sections or single pages of this wiki are covered by certain licenses. If a licence notice is displayed at a given wiki page, you may use the content of this page according to the license. In case you are contributing to such a page, your contribution is covered by this licensing terms."

 2. The particular page does not have any different copyright notice, but it does assert that the page is under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 (CC-BY).

 3. The PDFs have the following notices, as Jean mentioned before:

   "This document is Copyright © 2005–2011 by its contributors as listed below. You may
distribute it and/or modify it under the terms of either the GNU General Public
License (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html), version 3 or later, or the Creative
Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/), version
3.0 or later.
   "All trademarks within this guide belong to their legitimate owners."

   There is one chapter identified as licensed under CC-BY 3.0 only, with no dual licensing.

  3.1 There are named contributors.  The lists of names vary from document to document.  Note that neither Oracle nor Sun are identified as contributors and neither is singled out in the copyright notice.

  3.2 IMPORTANT: The feedback link is to odfauthors-discuss@.lists.odfauthors.org.  Also, the PDF documents contain information about where versions of the document can be found at <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org>.

  3.2 There are Acknowledgments sometimes.  These can trace a fascinating history of translation and contribution back to OpenOffice.org 1.x sources.  Not all of the acknowledged contributors are listed as directly-named contributors (3.1).

  3.3 The documents bear the imprint of ODF Authors (sometimes OOo Authors) and direct readers to those sites to provide feedback, report problems, etc.

  4. The Guides are available as PDF and ODT documents for OpenOffice 3.3.  For OpenOffice 3.2, the guides are also available as wiki pages.  The site also has OpenOffice.org 2.x User Guides.

Posted by Jean Hollis Weber <je...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Jean,

Posted by Jean Hollis Weber <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Jean Hollis Weber <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 20:43 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

>> > *I* was talking about the docs produced by ODFAuthors, in my note quoted
>> > below, and I asked a question that was not answered; the answer was
>> > about the material directly edited on the wiki, not about the material I
>> > asked about.
>> >

>> From licensing perspective it is the same, whether it is content in
>> wikitext or content in attachments to a wiki page.  The thing that
>> would be different would be links to content on external sites.
>>
>> If that is not answering your question, maybe you should restate, with
>> a link to a specific example.
>
> The user guides are dual-licensed under CC-BY and GPL, and the past
> contributors have obviously agreed to those licenses. They have not
> agreed to the Apache license, and most of them cannot be found to ask if
> they agree. We can't just relicense the books under the Apache license.
>
> What you have said tells me that those books cannot be attachments on a
> Apache-OOo wiki page. Is that correct? If so, then we can host them
> elsewhere and link to them from the wiki.

You asked previously about CC-BY.  I said that was on the list of
compatible licenses.  You never asked about GPL nor did I make a
comment on GPL.

In any case, do you really mean GPL? Or do you mean GNU Free
Documentation License (GFDL)?

As I mentioned before, the list of compatible licenses are listed here:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a

CC-BY is fine. Specifically version 2.5:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/

Note that CC-BY 3.0 is not listed.  But this may just be because no
project as requested it to be reviewed and approved.

What version are you licensing under?

Nothing is mentioned about GFDL.  It is not in the permitted or forbidden lists.

> Does this also mean that the guides cannot be part of the official
> documentation set? That's okay with me (not sure what other contributors
> think), but it seems less than ideal for the project.

See above.  CC-BY 2.5 is acceptable.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <gi...@tutopia.com>.
 Hmm ..
 If Oracle owns them we can include them in the grant and update te
 license.

 Cheers,

 pedro.