Posted to user@struts.apache.org by du...@hotmail.com on 2009/06/05 21:07:55 UTC

Re [S2] development tool

I noticed the posting on training was not met with huge opposition for
solicitation in the manner it was presented...
My turn  :>

We've been toying with creating a development tool/methodology that
encompases Struts, Spring, Hibernate, some code generation(not 1 screen at a
time, but a replication of complete cataloged solution).  My question is:
what model would the community best receive of the following:

-license, $X.00 month per seat
-free development license and non-commercial runtime, commercial runtime fee
per cpu
-combination of the first two(lesser per seat license combined with a
runtime license)

The core features of the tool are
-20X faster development compared to current market alternatives
-90% point and click development(business rules must be coded) which allows
developers to focus on business, not assembling technologies and frameworks
-new frameworks can be induced by modifying catalog. Once written, never
write it again
-Portal style look and feel, comes with role-base
authentication/authorization out-of-the-box
-custom tag libraries are advanced and easy to use, makes application
integration(and long term maintenance) simpler
-enables daily scrum sessions in an agile development environment
-all major App Servers supported
-all major Database supported
-java version is production ready
-C#/.Net version is due out in a few months 80% complete(looking for
developers, send resume if you like to contribute)

I'll demo the platform to anyone interested. Just write and express interest
and we can do this online with Skype and GoToMeeting

If you are interested in outsourcing. I have developers fluent with this
tool that are looking for projects.
Thanks for your consideration

Duane

RE: Re [S2] development tool

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
this would address training only..
local training always works as the student pays before the class
but then again a storm could come up and push class back or the training oom HVAC could go awry..things
can go wrong to upset the schedule

then again online is far 'iffier' because of man-in-the-middle hacker intervention..
a rock-solid SSL site will negate that and tighten the site to only allow one individual at a time to access
Also i would suggest the online site should be fairly inuitive
and allow potential students to make their own choice for modules
the site should restrict the downloaded module to be purchased before the subject is presented
the site should have sufficient SSO/SSL restriction that doesnt allow more than 1 individual/view
the site shoud manner of tracking with an email to say you have d/l module 1 would you like
to d/l module2 in <n> months time
portal-plugin/spring-plugin and integration with Enterprise DBs would come as advanced modules
the intention of the site should be to inform (not to route work overseas or vice-versa)

it would be easier but more expensive to purchase a Software program such as BlackBoard to accomplish this objective
http://www.blackboard.com/Teaching-Learning/Overview.aspx

does this make sense?
Martin Gainty

> From: duane5000@hotmail.com
> To: user@struts.apache.org
> Subject: Re [S2] development tool
> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:07:55 -0500
>
> I noticed the posting on training was not met with huge opposition for
> solicitation in the manner it was presented...
> My turn  :>
>
> We've been toying with creating a development tool/methodology that
> encompases Struts, Spring, Hibernate, some code generation(not 1 screen at a
> time, but a replication of complete cataloged solution).  My question is:
> what model would the community best receive of the following:
>
> -license, $X.00 month per seat
> -free development license and non-commercial runtime, commercial runtime fee
> per cpu
> -combination of the first two(lesser per seat license combined with a
> runtime license)
>
> The core features of the tool are
> -20X faster development compared to current market alternatives
> -90% point and click development(business rules must be coded) which allows
> developers to focus on business, not assembling technologies and frameworks
> -new frameworks can be induced by modifying catalog. Once written, never
> write it again
> -Portal style look and feel, comes with role-base
> authentication/authorization out-of-the-box
> -custom tag libraries are advanced and easy to use, makes application
> integration(and long term maintenance) simpler
> -enables daily scrum sessions in an agile development environment
> -all major App Servers supported
> -all major Database supported
> -java version is production ready
> -C#/.Net version is due out in a few months 80% complete(looking for
> developers, send resume if you like to contribute)
>
> I'll demo the platform to anyone interested. Just write and express interest
> and we can do this online with Skype and GoToMeeting
>
> If you are interested in outsourcing. I have developers fluent with this
> tool that are looking for projects.
> Thanks for your consideration
>
> Duane

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.

RE: Re [S2] development tool

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
you'll get 10 different answers from 10 different people

eclipse has been around the longest..writing a plugin for eclipse is a bit of a challenge
and may cause you consider alternative RADs..the eclipse featureset is the most extensive although the screens are busy..you can customise to simplify

Netbeans..used it 2 years ago ..unfortunately alot of the ibm specific plugins were never developed we had one client using MQ and wound up writing the queues and configs from scratch..deploying to GF and MySQL was a breeze tho'

Oracle JDeveloper has an entire Oracle toolsuite built-in so you can autoconnect to discovered TNS ..just point and click to single connection or Grid and you're in..tho' alot TC,GF,CVS plugins never materialised..no biggy just customise ANT script to deploy target and deploy

IDEs are great but for some of us who are using the same server for multiple DB's, multiple AppServers and a HTTP server ..command line is still the least resource intensive
IDEs are good for rapid creation of artifacts like configurations, java files, factories and or DB connection configurations..web services..when things go awry you have to be able to jump to command line and figure out whats going on

Big is for people with big budgets..for those of us outside the DC beltway budgets are 1/4
of what they were a year ago doing more with less is the mantra..
did you have any IDE in particular you would like to champion?

Martin
Good Manners Dont Cost Nothing - Pink Floyd

Re: Re [S2] development tool

Posted by Nils-Helge Garli Hegvik <ni...@gmail.com>.
I don't think anyone is _threatened_ by RAD tools. To be a threat,
they would have to be better than the alternatives.... And they're
not.... I have yet to see a RAD (as in point and click programming)
tool that is actually more productive taking the entire lifecycle of a
development project into consideration. The reason we're (I'm) so
against it is having those tools pushed down our throats by some
non-technology guy who just came home from a golf trip with someone
from their software partner (btw: I'm not referring to you ;)... I
would certainly welcome any tool that actually makes developing and
maintaining web applications easier.

Nils-H

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM, <du...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> To the group:
> How threatened do you feel toward RAD tools? Do you feel that a RAD
> environment would take your 5 man team to a one-man team, or do you see
> (company-mentality) the 5 man team taking the company to market 5 times
> faster(overall SDLC) and seeing new projects( that appear out of reach)
> becoming a reality? Do you look at the company having a real competitive
> advantage, or do you see job cuts? I agree that, in this market, things look
> a little dim. How less-dim do things look(for the company) when budget
> constraints are loosened and projects start moving again?  I guess this is a
> question of: is your glass half-full or half empty?
>
> Think big!
> Duane

Re: Re [S2] development tool

Posted by du...@hotmail.com.

Re: Re [S2] development tool

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
duane5000@hotmail.com wrote:
> The core features of the tool are
> -20X faster development compared to current market alternatives

What do you believe the "current market alternatives" are?

> -90% point and click development(business rules must be coded)

I find that *highly* unlikely, but perhaps we develop different types of
applications.

Dave