Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2006/02/24 12:27:53 UTC

[Proposal] Extend the ResourceManager Interface

Hi all,

I would like to extend the ResourceManager.java with following method:
addResource(Document document, Part part, Map metaData, MetaData
customMeta) throws...

In the default implementation I want to add in this method that not only
the metadata will add to the asset but as well to the MetaData that got
passed into it.

Lasy consensus active.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [Proposal] Extend the ResourceManager Interface

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El lun, 27-02-2006 a las 12:06 +0100, Andreas Hartmann escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >> Well, I am researching to extend lenya with a mediaType resource type.
> >> Above interface is responsible to add assets (resources) to lenya. If
> >> you add an asset then you add as well some meta data (e.g. height)
> >> regarding the asset.
> >>
> >> Now in the case of mediaType documents you need this information in
> >> the
> >> meta data of this doc. The now implemented code change allows to pass
> >> any metada to the ResourceManager and storing the asset information as
> >> well there.
>
> I don't see why this can't be handled by the previously available
> methods.

How?

> What is the additional meta data parameter good for?

The whole point of a media type document is to give information about
the media. Now since we have made the determination between assets and
documents (which does not make sence) I need all information in the
*document* and not so much in the asset. The asset in reality *is* the
document!

> Is this the CustomMetaData object of the Document?

yes

> Shouldn't this
> rather be handled by client code?

¿? What do you mean?

The document is determined by the asset props, which are stored in the
meta data.

> BTW, the new code in DefaultResourcesManager contains some 2-space
> indentation lines and inline Strings ...

Sorry will reconfigure my IDE.
Thx for the headsup.

salu2

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> El sáb, 25-02-2006 a las 02:07 +0100, Thorsten Scherler escribió:
>>> can you explain a bit more? Maybe give a real-world example?
>> Well, I am researching to extend lenya with a mediaType resource type.
>> Above interface is responsible to add assets (resources) to lenya. If
>> you add an asset then you add as well some meta data (e.g. height)
>> regarding the asset.
>>
>> Now in the case of mediaType documents you need this information in
>> the
>> meta data of this doc. The now implemented code change allows to pass
>> any metada to the ResourceManager and storing the asset information as
>> well there.

I don't see why this can't be handled by the previously available
methods. What is the additional meta data parameter good for?
Is this the CustomMetaData object of the Document? Shouldn't this
rather be handled by client code?

BTW, the new code in DefaultResourcesManager contains some 2-space
indentation lines and inline Strings ...

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: [Proposal] Extend the ResourceManager Interface

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El lun, 27-02-2006 a las 09:41 +0100, Andreas Hartmann escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to extend the ResourceManager.java with following method:
> > addResource(Document document, Part part, Map metaData, MetaData
> > customMeta) throws...
> >
> > In the default implementation I want to add in this method that not only
> > the metadata will add to the asset but as well to the MetaData that got
> > passed into it.
>
> I don't quite understand. Could you please elaborate a bit more?
> Thanks!

El sáb, 25-02-2006 a las 02:07 +0100, Thorsten Scherler escribió:
> > can you explain a bit more? Maybe give a real-world example?
>
> Well, I am researching to extend lenya with a mediaType resource type.
> Above interface is responsible to add assets (resources) to lenya. If
> you add an asset then you add as well some meta data (e.g. height)
> regarding the asset.
>
> Now in the case of mediaType documents you need this information in
> the
> meta data of this doc. The now implemented code change allows to pass
> any metada to the ResourceManager and storing the asset information as
> well there.
>
> Still this is just one example where I do not understand the
> difference
> between resource and documents, because IMO both are just content and
> should use one interface!

What parts do you not understand?

Thx

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: [Proposal] Extend the ResourceManager Interface

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I would like to extend the ResourceManager.java with following method:
>addResource(Document document, Part part, Map metaData, MetaData
>customMeta) throws...
>
>In the default implementation I want to add in this method that not only
>the metadata will add to the asset but as well to the MetaData that got
>passed into it.

can you explain a bit more? Maybe give a real-world example?

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner