Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net> on 2006/03/20 12:47:55 UTC

Cleanup trunk directory structure

As we are at it to mavenize the missing blocks, we should also cleanup trunk
which is quite a mess. I propose following structure

cocoon/trunk
  +- blocks
  |    +- cocoon-apples
  |    +- ...
  +- core
  |    +- cocoon-core <-- will finally go completly into blocks but that needs
  |                       more refactoring
  |    +- cocoon-blocks-fw
  +- tools
  |    +- archetypes
  |    +- cocoon-deployer
  |    +- daisy-plugin
  |    +- sitemap-tags-2daisy
  +- site
  +- common (legal stuff, awards, graphics, ...)

WDOT?

--
Mag. (FH) Reinhard Pötz                    Beratung, Training, Coaching

web(log): http://www.poetz.cc                    mail: contact@poetz.cc
mobile: +43-(0)664-4544829                   fax: +49-(0)89-1488-289439

Re: Cleanup trunk directory structure

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> thanks for the hint.
>
> Where do we have our Continuum instance running? How can I get acces to it?

I've created a link on the zone home page.

Best way to experiment with this is to install continuum locally though.
It really is just a matter of unzipping, starting, follow the initial
configuration screen and adding the URL to our root pom as maven2 project.

I've upgraded the instance to 1.0.3-SNAPSHOT over the weekend, it still
needs a bit of work. Feel free to play around with it though, there is
nothing you can break by clicking around.

Regards
Jorg

Re: Cleanup trunk directory structure

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Cleanup trunk directory structure

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> Jorg Heymans wrote:

>>> Yes <finalName/> allows you to control the artifact name.
>>>
>>> The reason why we've named these directories was that in continuum
>>> there
>>> is a mapping between the module name and the repository directory name.
>>>
>>> So if you declare in a top level module pom
>>>
>>> <modules>
>>>    <module>cocoon-apples</module>
>>> </modules>
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> <scm>
>>> <connection>scm:svn:http://repo/trunk</connection>
>>> </scm>
>>>
>>> then continuum will resolve the checkout path for moduleA as
>>> http://repo/trunk/cocoon-apples.
>>>
>>> Now at the time i did not take the possibility of using <finalName/>
>>> into account. Advice from the maven guys was
>>> module-name=module-location
>>> so that's what i went for.
>>>
>>> I suggest that before we decide to go for this approach, someone
>>> experiments with this layout and tests continuum and eclipse-plugin
>>> integration (they are the most picky with module poms) and reports back
>>> before we start another mass rename.
>>>
>>> Either way i'm not too bothered at all by a repo structure with
>>> "noise".
>>> Maven is there to help you not having to look at the repo structure in
>>> it's totality.
>>

>> In one of my projects we had problems when artifactId and directory
>> name were different, now I remember.
>>
>> I hesitate to change it as "working against the system or
>> recommendations" can be very frustrating and after daily using M2 for
>> about 3 months I know that it's best to follow every recommendation
>> that you can get. Often when I tried something different (e.g. not
>> putting the Java sources into ./src/main/java but somewhere else
>> causes problems in some reporting plugins) I got problems.
>>
>> Can somebody ask a M2 expert (IRC, dev@maven,  etc), if it is really
>> save to use the <finalName/> element for JAR artifacts?
>

> Not necesary. Please keep the current hierachy with the "cocoon-"
> prefix. We have a lot of others things to do, hence keep moving. Later
> we can get back and improve this issue if we found it necesary at all.
> ;-)

The reply seems to be no clear: I meant your suggested cleanup dir
structure enhancement is ok. I am +1 for the change. :-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: Cleanup trunk directory structure

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>>

>>> As we are at it to mavenize the missing blocks, we should also
>>> cleanup trunk which is quite a mess. I propose following structure
>>>
>>> cocoon/trunk
>>>  +- blocks
>>>  |    +- cocoon-apples
>>>  |    +- ...
>>>  +- core
>>>  |    +- cocoon-core <-- will finally go completly into blocks but
>>> that needs
>>>  |                       more refactoring
>>>  |    +- cocoon-blocks-fw
>>>  +- tools
>>>  |    +- archetypes
>>>  |    +- cocoon-deployer
>>>  |    +- daisy-plugin
>>>  |    +- sitemap-tags-2daisy
>>>  +- site
>>>  +- common (legal stuff, awards, graphics, ...)
>>>
>>> WDOT?
>>>
>> +1.
>>
>> Question: Why "cocoon-apples"? Should not be easy to use just "apples"?
>

> This question was raised a couple of weeks ago and Jorg answered it,
> but I can't find a pointer.
>
> IIRC there are some reasons for it:
>
>  - naming of the artifact --> cocoon-apples-1.0.jar instead of
> apples-1.0.jar
>  - it is recommended by the M2 folks
>  - ... there was more, but can't remember, Jorg can you?

I know, but IIRC Giacomo told the directory name is not important for
jar generation since there is a directive in pom.xml to change the jar
name. Looking at the current trunk the "cocoon-" prefix create a lot of
"noise". And this is why I am asking again if this is the best way we
can go. ;-)

WDYT?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: Cleanup trunk directory structure

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
Reinhard Pötz skrev:

> As we are at it to mavenize the missing blocks, we should also cleanup
> trunk which is quite a mess. I propose following structure
>
> cocoon/trunk
>  +- blocks
>  |    +- cocoon-apples
>  |    +- ...
>  +- core
>  |    +- cocoon-core <-- will finally go completly into blocks but that
> needs
>  |                       more refactoring
>  |    +- cocoon-blocks-fw
>  +- tools
>  |    +- archetypes
>  |    +- cocoon-deployer
>  |    +- daisy-plugin
>  |    +- sitemap-tags-2daisy
>  +- site
>  +- common (legal stuff, awards, graphics, ...)
>
> WDOT?

+1

/Daniel