Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Philippe Laflamme <ph...@hopper.com> on 2017/11/28 20:09:39 UTC

KAFKA-5413 and 0.10.x

Hi,

We've recently hit an issue that is marked as "resolved" in the 0.10
branch, but has never been released[1]. There is no known workaround for
the problem.

Upgrading our cluster to a 0.11 version is certainly an option, but is a
risky one given that it could introduce move bugs (especially since it has
a new storage format and a whole slew of new features). We would much
rather upgrade to a 0.10.x release to only obtain this fix that we need.

I understand that the Kafka development team has moved on to 0.11 and now
1.0, but it's also safe to say that there are more users on past versions,
though I have no data to back this statement (maybe someone can?). Given
that the 0.10.x branch is broken and still actively used, it seems like a
0.10.2.2 release would be beneficial to the user community.

My question is whether or not users can help with making such releases
happen. Is there anything that the community can do to help cutting a
release like this one? If not, is there any documentation about how one
would proceed to cut an internal release, e.g.: can the existing release
tooling be leveraged? Otherwise, maybe someone here has gone through this
process and can share their experience?

Cheers,
Philippe
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-5413

Re: KAFKA-5413 and 0.10.x

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Just a quick note.

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Philippe Laflamme <ph...@hopper.com>
wrote:

> Upgrading our cluster to a 0.11 version is certainly an option, but is a
> risky one given that it could introduce move bugs (especially since it has
> a new storage format and a whole slew of new features). We would much
> rather upgrade to a 0.10.x release to only obtain this fix that we need.

A few points:

1. 0.11.0.2 also fixes a large number of bugs (including some critical
ones) so I would say that there is also risk in sticking with 0.10.2.x.
2. You can continue to use the old message format even if you upgrade to
0.11.0.x.
3. 0.11.0.x has had two bug fix releases so it's reasonably safe to upgrade
to by now. As usual, you'd want to do your own testing though.

Ismael