Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Justin <ju...@hush.cc> on 2006/09/11 15:09:05 UTC

OS X Svr command line install?

Hi everyone,

I recently completed my first SVN install on an OS X Server - had to
make it really secured, so I was wrestling with it and Apache2 for a
while. Got it running in the end!   =)

Although, now I've been tasked with getting it installed on another
OS X Server. The catch is, I'll have no GUI access to this server. I
used a mix of GUI and command line for the previous server I setup...

So before I jump headlong into this, can anyone recommend a guide, or
their own tips/walkthrough, to installing SVN server on OS X via the
command line? I'm most concerned about interrupting the services
we've got live on the server. If it was a new, blank server I
wouldn't have to ask - I could just play to my heart's content!

Thanks in advance,

*justin

Re: OS X Svr command line install?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 11, 2006, at 17:09, Justin wrote:

> I recently completed my first SVN install on an OS X Server - had
> to make it really secured, so I was wrestling with it and Apache2
> for a while. Got it running in the end!   =)
>
> Although, now I've been tasked with getting it installed on another
> OS X Server. The catch is, I'll have no GUI access to this server.
> I used a mix of GUI and command line for the previous server I
> setup...
>
> So before I jump headlong into this, can anyone recommend a guide,
> or their own tips/walkthrough, to installing SVN server on OS X via
> the command line? I'm most concerned about interrupting the
> services we've got live on the server. If it was a new, blank
> server I wouldn't have to ask - I could just play to my heart's
> content!

It should not be a problem to compile all the dependencies by hand
over an ssh session to the server.

If you don't want to be bothered, it's also very easy to install it
with MacPorts or Fink which are both also command-line solutions.

Re: OS X Svr command line install?

Posted by Andy Peters <de...@latke.net>.
On Sep 11, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Justin wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently completed my first SVN install on an OS X Server - had
> to make it really secured, so I was wrestling with it and Apache2
> for a while. Got it running in the end!   =)
>
> Although, now I've been tasked with getting it installed on another
> OS X Server. The catch is, I'll have no GUI access to this server.
> I used a mix of GUI and command line for the previous server I
> setup...
>
> So before I jump headlong into this, can anyone recommend a guide,
> or their own tips/walkthrough, to installing SVN server on OS X via
> the command line? I'm most concerned about interrupting the
> services we've got live on the server. If it was a new, blank
> server I wouldn't have to ask - I could just play to my heart's
> content!

Apple's instructions here: http://developer.apple.com/tools/
subversionxcode.html work well.  Just substitute the latest versions
of both Apache and Subversion.

I installed and configured a Subversion server on a Mac mini, ssh-ing
in from my Mac Book Pro.

I did find it a lot easier to create the svnowner user using the Mac
Accounts System Preferences, though.

-a