Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/09/07 15:49:28 UTC

[5.0] JSP performance ...

... is not as good as it should be. I found a benchmark where TC is
currently not too good. The problem occurs when dealing with lots of
strings.

I'm attaching the benchmark, the code generated by TC, and the code
generated by Resin. Resin String handling tricks ends with it making
about half the amount of writes, and writing char arrays instead of
Strings. I believe this is faster :-D

While the benchmark is quite lame, I believe a lot of pages have similar
amounts of interleaved static HTML, so optimizing this would give a
healthy performance increase. (Note: I did a quick review with a
profiler, and all the CPU time is spent in the _jspService method body,
using a compiled JSP, so the performance overhead is in the generated
code for this particular test)

(I found this while looking for optimization ideas)

Can we get the same kind of stuff ? Kin-Man, Jan, others ?

Remy