Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Schneider Christian <Ch...@enbw.com> on 2010/01/05 15:39:48 UTC

Typesafe way to extract Performance statistics from camel routes

Hi all,

camel already does a nice job of collecting performance counters for several
objects like routes. I would like to access these statistics from inside the
same process and alternatively also from another process. Currently the only
way I know is using JMX. Of course this is quite a lot of overhead when you
are in the same process and it is not typesafe.

Is there an easier way than to use jmx to get the statistics from the same
process?

When using JMX it would be nice to have a typesafe way to access the
statistics. This would be possible if classes like PerformanceCounter or
ManagedRoute were available as an interface (by using JMX.newMBeanProxy).
Would it make sense to create such interfaces?

Greetings

Christian

Christian Schneider
Team Handel und Risikomanagement
Informationsverarbeitung Business Solutions Trading
EnBW Systeme Infrastruktur Support GmbH

Informationsverarbeitung
Business Solutions
Handel und Dispatching
Durlacher Allee 93
76131 Karlsruhe

Tel : +49-(0)721-63-15482
Mail: christian.schneider@enbw.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim   HRB 108550
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Bernhard Beck
Geschäftsführer: Jochen Adenau, Dr. Peter Krampf

Re: Typesafe way to extract Performance statistics from camel routes

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Schneider Christian
<Ch...@enbw.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> camel already does a nice job of collecting performance counters for several
> objects like routes. I would like to access these statistics from inside the
> same process and alternatively also from another process. Currently the only
> way I know is using JMX. Of course this is quite a lot of overhead when you
> are in the same process and it is not typesafe.
>
> Is there an easier way than to use jmx to get the statistics from the same
> process?
>
> When using JMX it would be nice to have a typesafe way to access the
> statistics. This would be possible if classes like PerformanceCounter or
> ManagedRoute were available as an interface (by using JMX.newMBeanProxy).
> Would it make sense to create such interfaces?

It depends on how many stats you want to grab? We could create
interfaces for the most commonly used only.
And some components provide their own managed object and thus its
often not an interface.

Feel free to create a JIRA and a list of suggested managed beans to
have as interfaces.

The only issue I see is that the interface may have to be named
something else as the ManagedXXX as we have 3rd party tooling and
other people already relying on the current classnames.

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/