Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/08 12:24:25 UTC

Propose hiding/removing JIRA Environment text input

Many of us have accidentally added a long-form description of our JIRA
issues into the Environment field of JIRA instead of the Description.  I
think we can agree this is pretty annoying.  It seems to have been
happening more lately with a change to JIRA that for whatever reason has
made it more visually tempting to start typing there.  I want to arrange
for some sort of fix with infra.  I'm willing to work with them to explore
what can be done.  But what should we propose infra do exactly?  I'd like
to get a sense of that here with our community first.

IMO, I don't think a dedicated Environment input field is useful when
someone could just as easily type anything pertinent into the description
field of a bug report.  Less input fields means a simpler JIRA UI -- a good
thing IMO.  But since it's been used in the past, it may be impossible to
actually remove it while keeping the text on old issues.  Nonetheless I'm
ambivalent if it were to be outright removed and others here want this
since I think it's of such low value that data loss wouldn't bother me.

Can it be retained as a purely read-only on display but otherwise can't
edit? I'd like that.

Perhaps the path of least change and thus "safest" path is for it to be
removed from the "Create Issue" screen, yet retain it on other screens for
those that are fans of adding/editing it?

~ David

Re: Propose hiding/removing JIRA Environment text input

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
+1 David
Just moving it below the description would also help, or making the input text box for environment much smaller or something.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
On my screen at least I can't see the description field without scrolling
down. I have no idea what can and can't be done with JIRA but anything that
makes it visible again without scrolling has my +1.

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
OK, I made them the same order, with the addition of the Lucene Fields for
LUCENE before Environment:

Description
Labels
Attachments
<Lucene Fields>
Environment

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
OK, this is done.

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/8/2018 6:24 AM, David Smiley wrote:
> Many of us have accidentally added a long-form description of our JIRA
> issues into the Environment field of JIRA instead of the Description.
> I think we can agree this is pretty annoying.  It seems to have been
> happening more lately with a change to JIRA that for whatever reason
> has made it more visually tempting to start typing there.  I want to
> arrange for some sort of fix with infra.  I'm willing to work with
> them to explore what can be done.  But what should we propose infra do
> exactly?  I'd like to get a sense of that here with our community first.

I think a free-form text box for environment is important, and I
wouldn't want to get rid of it entirely.

Reordering things so description is the first large text box is one
option, and might be the best idea.  Other ideas:

* Put some kind of button or other control in place so the user has to
click on something to open up an environment text box.

* Use a visual cue of some kind to emphasize the description box and
draw the eye to it.  Borders, colors, etc.

* Provide a series of radio buttons, checkboxes, and/or dropdowns for a
user to choose various aspects of their environment from pre-defined
choices.  Disadvantage is that would require considerable maintenance as
the project and possible environments change.  Also, a user would not be
able to describe an aspect of their environment that might be a little
unusual.

I have no idea how much control Infra actually has over this.  It might
require an upstream change in Jira.

Thanks,
Shawn