Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Patrick Forhan <fe...@muddyhorse.com> on 2008/09/05 20:44:24 UTC

Release of felix remote shell?

Is there an official release of the software described here:
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-remote-shell.html

... or do we have to build it from source ourselves?

Thanks,

Pat.

--
Defy mediocrity.

Re: Release of felix remote shell?

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the feedback. So I will now prepare the 1.0.2 release candidate.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Patrick Forhan <fe...@muddyhorse.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Patrick,

Sorry for the confusion, I now understand, why the Import-Service
headers should be removed ....

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Patrick Forhan schrieb:
>
>>> Anyway a new release candidate is under way ...
>>>
>> I notice that 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT at
>> http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/felix/org.apache.felix.shell.remote/1.0.1-SNAPSHOT/
>> still has the import-service tags... perhaps FELIX-709 to address
>> these tags should be done before the next release?
>>

> The Import-Service tags have no practical use any more nowadays (plase
> correct me if I am wrong).

They are used by OBR...

-> richard

Posted by clement escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
2008/9/10 Patrick Forhan <fe...@muddyhorse.com>

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The Import-Service tags have no practical use any more nowadays (plase
> > correct me if I am wrong).
>
> Well, when I said to "address" the issue, I'd like to see the
> import-service tags deleted. ;-)
>
> > What matters is the Import-Package: I declared the log service package
> > to resolve optionally, which means the bundle will resolve without the
> > log service package available.
>
> Certainly, this is good.  We happened to have osgi-compendium in our
> OBR, so that package resolution didn't cause us trouble.  The fact
> that none of our bundles have Export-Service did.  We could run the
> bundle locally, but could not download it from the OBR.

If you use the maven-bundle-plugin, you can customize the bundle OBR
description, such as required and provided services; by creating and editing
a obr.xml file. The most part of Felix project have those files.

For the web console, it should be something like (I use the obr.xml file of
this project :-)):
<obr>
    <require extend="false"
        filter="(service=org.osgi.service.log.LogService)"
        multiple="false" name="service" optional="true">
        Import Service org.osgi.service.log.LogService
    </require>
    <require extend="false"
        filter="(service=javax.servlet.Servlet)"
        multiple="true" name="service" optional="true">
        Import Service javax.servlet.Servlet
    </require>
    <require extend="false"
        filter="(service=org.apache.felix.webconsole.Render)"
        multiple="true" name="service" optional="true">
        Import Service org.apache.felix.webconsole.Render
    </require>
    <require extend="false"
        filter="(service=org.apache.felix.webconsole.Action)"
        multiple="true" name="service" optional="true">
        Import Service org.apache.felix.webconsole.Action
    </require>
    <require extend="false"
        filter="(service=org.osgi.service.http.HttpService)"
        multiple="false" name="service" optional="false">
        Import Service org.osgi.service.http.HttpService
    </require>
    <capability name="service">
            v="OSGi Management Console Configuration Receiver" />
            v="org.apache.felix.webconsole.internal.servlet.OsgiManager" />
    </capability>
</obr>

Once created, this file is analyzed by the maven-bundle-plugin and add the
content to the bundle description. By this way, deploying the bundle will
also deployed "one" provider of required services.

Regards,

Clement

Posted by Patrick Forhan <fe...@muddyhorse.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Patrick Forhan <fe...@muddyhorse.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Sahoo schrieb:
> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>> Patrick Forhan wrote:
>>> Is there an official release of the software described here:
>>> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-remote-shell.html
>>>
>>> ... or do we have to build it from source ourselves?
>>
>> We are actually in the middle of a release. There was an issue that we
>> are checking on right now, but there should be an official release
>> soon. Until then, you will need to build from source (unless it has
>> been published to the maven snapshot repo).
>>
> Yes, a snapshot binary is available at
> http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/felix/org.apache.felix.shell.remote/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/

I deployed a new snapshot which is functionally equivalent to the
release candidate to be put up for vote.

> Even better, a binary that's being voted for release is available at:
> http://people.apache.org/~fmeschbe/org.apache.felix.shell.remote-1.0.0/

This should not be used. It is considered a release candidate until
after the successful vote. But since the vote has been cancelled I
remove these files without any further notice.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Yes, you can safely delete them.

These are old OSGi manifest header entries that have been deprecated
because they were only informational, but OBR does use them as a way to
express a service capability/requirement.

I assume what is happening here is that your OBR repository does not
contain a log service and/or the log service you are using doesn't
contain "Export-Service: org.osgi.service.log.LogService" in its
manifest. If the Log Service impl has this in its manifest (or its OBR
description) then it will correctly resolve.

-> richard

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.