Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com> on 2007/11/12 20:47:51 UTC

Plans for qpid::framing::FieldTable

Andrew,

I'm beginning to use field tables for my management work and I've found
that the FieldTable interface (C++ broker) only has direct support for a
couple of types (Integer, String, Timestamp, Table).  Do you have any
plans to expand this set?  The above types are very generic whereas the
types in the AMQP spec are very specific in terms of size and
signedness.  What's the plan for supporting the larger set of available
types in field tables?  I assume there's a
consistent-naming-in-client-APIs issue here.

If I use the more generic interface (i.e. FixedWidthVariable template),
I will need to embed AMQP type codes into my code which doesn't seem
like a good idea from a maintainability standpoint.

-Ted

Re: Plans for qpid::framing::FieldTable

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
Actually, I'm only talking about simple types like uint8 and uint64.  As
it is now, if I want to put a 64-bit number in a field table, I have to
call it a "timestamp" and for an octet, I need to use 32 bits.  The
latter isn't a huge problem because I'm not going to be sending a large
quantity of data this way.  The former seems like a bit of a hack.

-Ted

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.