Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ardor Wei <ar...@yahoo.com> on 2004/01/29 08:10:28 UTC

Google search algorithm

We all know Lucene algorithm (thanks to open source:).
Anybody has a general idea of how Google search
algorithm works? How is the page ranking (I don't mean
the paid ones) determined by Google? I have strong
interest to know this. Any idea or feedback will be
appreciated. Thanks!

Ardor

Re: Google search algorithm

Posted by Magnus Johansson <ma...@technohuman.com>.
I read somewhere that it used a hidden markov model.

It checks each page and gives each link a click probability.
It also gives a probability that the user will enter a new
address instead of clicking a link.

We then, by using a hidden markov model, calculate the
probability that the user will be at a particular page
after an infinite time using random browsing according
to the probabilies found.

This probability is then used as a basis for ranking
results.

Magnus Johansson

Re: Google search algorithm

Posted by Dror Matalon <dr...@zapatec.com>.
This is not quite related to Lucene but I found a web page that
has quite a few links about this subject:

http://www.google.com/search?q=google+page+rank&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

:-).

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 11:10:28PM -0800, Ardor Wei wrote:
> We all know Lucene algorithm (thanks to open source:).
> Anybody has a general idea of how Google search
> algorithm works? How is the page ranking (I don't mean
> the paid ones) determined by Google? I have strong
> interest to know this. Any idea or feedback will be
> appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Ardor

Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc