Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1997/01/03 20:55:33 UTC

Request (fwd)

not acked.

Mmmm. -1

----- Forwarded message from Casey Palowitch -----

Date: 	 Fri, 3 Jan 1997 14:17:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Casey Palowitch <ca...@phoenix.princeton.edu>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: Request

Hi Apache Developers,

	First of all, thanks for a fantastic product.

	I'm wondering if you could stuff one more feature in before the
1.2 final release-- support for multiple access config files.

	The reason for this is a very good and practical one.

	Sites like ours that mount files from Novell or other 8x3
filename operating systems need to support htaccess files in those
directories, and it can't be the default (.htaccess).

	This modification doesn't really make sense as an additional
module, since it is a modification of the http_config and perhaps
http_core code.

	By the way, we're running Apache on all of our main production
webservers here and it has been performing wonders.  We've had lots of
pressure to use some of the dysfunctional servers out there.  No thanks!

Regards,

*+*  Casey Palowitch, Web Project Leader, Information Access Group
+*+  Princeton University Computing and Information Technology
*+*  casey@princeton.edu  http://www.princeton.edu/~casey/

----- End of forwarded message from Casey Palowitch -----

--
Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.    http://www.imdb.com/

Re: Request (fwd)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:
>

> > not acked.
> >
> > Mmmm. -1
> >
> > ----- Forwarded message from Casey Palowitch -----
> >

> [...]
>
> > 	Sites like ours that mount files from Novell or other 8x3
> > filename operating systems need to support htaccess files in those
> > directories, and it can't be the default (.htaccess).
>
> Umm... couldn't he just use AccessFileName to change it to something
> else? Or is he asking for something else?

I think he wants the ability to have more than one at the same time, like
DirectoryIndex does for index files.  One for the good Unix people so they
don't have to change for the sake of other junk, one for the people using
other junk so they can live.

Re: Request (fwd)

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server