Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2008/08/28 16:19:07 UTC

JPFF

What do people make of http://www.jppf.org/index.php ?  Not suggesting
it for any specific thing, but just wondering if it is at all helpful
for any of our tasks.

-Grant

Re: JPFF

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
You know, the more that I work with map-reduce, the less I find that is
really hard to do with it.

Graph traversal is a great case.  Looks hard because you potentially have
lots of passes through MR to get your result.

But most problems of practical import scale the number of map-reduce passes
with the diameter of the graph.  For small world graphs, this diameter is
much less than log N (that is what 6 degrees of separation is all about!)
and in some cases looks more like log log N.

To put this in perspective, if the planet has 10^10 people (I call this 10
billion, but this is confusing) and each person has 100 computers, then log
N scaling for finding all shortest paths will require somewhere around 30
passes.   Log-log scaling will require 5.  This is not a big deal.

--
ted

Re: JPFF