Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "sieger007@gmail.com" <si...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/16 21:48:36 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] cannot install a SSL certificate : any idea folks ? Going nuts over SSL..

Thank you friends. This SSL stuff drives me nuts .
Just to clarify, I had sent a certificate request with xyz.abc.com
<http://cmsevalspry.house.gov/>as the common name. I got back a
certificate with *.
abc.com  as the common name from the CA. Can I still use the same key or is
it a mismatch?

Posted by Crypto Sal <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 11/17/2009 11:37 AM, sieger007@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks a lot folks. I am getting some sort of handle here .
> The problem is  If I use the original key and the certificate that
> they give me, the web server does not start I assume because the CN,
> OU, etc. does not match.I just want a SSL cert that works.So right now
> I use a self signed CA.Now is there a concept of applying for a
> *Revoke *of an old CA before you apply for a  a new CA .
> Because if I give the CN as xyz.abc.com <http://xyz.abc.com> I get a
> certificate *.abc.com <http://abc.com> why should that be so .
> Thanks again

Hello,

Again, the only real thing that needs to match is the modulus on both
the key and certificate (outside of setting up a proper VHost, of
course). I assume you downloaded the wrong certificate from the CA(Very
common). You could always generate a new key and CSR and send that CSR
to the CA, who then will send you a new certificate.

Re: [users@httpd] cannot install a SSL certificate : any idea folks ? Going nuts over SSL..

Posted by "sieger007@gmail.com" <si...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Crypto Sal <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  In the future, please bottom post to the mailing list. It makes it much
> easier to read.
>
> Here's a great article on how to see if the modulus on the private key and
> the modulus on the certificate match.
>
> http://kb.wisc.edu/middleware/page.php?id=4064
>
> You may also want to read the openssl man pages.
>

> On 11/16/2009 07:46 PM, sieger007@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Thanks.what kind of changes do I need to make to the modules. I assume that
> is what you referred to by 'modulus matches on the private key and
> certificate file'
> If you can shine some light on thus 'modulus matches on the private key and
> certificate file'
> Thx
> Sam
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Crypto Sal <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 11/16/2009 03:48 PM, sieger007@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Thank you friends. This SSL stuff drives me nuts .
>> Just to clarify, I had sent a certificate request with xyz.abc.com <http://cmsevalspry.house.gov/>as the common name. I got back a certificate with *.
>> abc.com  as the common name from the CA. Can I still use the same key or
>> is it a mismatch?
>>
>>  Hello,
>>
>> As long as the modulus matches on the private key and certificate file,
>> yes it will still work.

Thanks a lot folks. I am getting some sort of handle here .
The problem is  If I use the original key and the certificate that they give
me, the web server does not start I assume because the CN, OU, etc. does not
match.I just want a SSL cert that works.So right now I use a self signed
CA.Now is there a concept of applying for a *Revoke *of an old CA before you
apply for a  a new CA .
Because if I give the CN as  xyz.abc.com I get a certificate *.abc.com why
should that be so .
Thanks again

Re: [users@httpd] cannot install a SSL certificate : any idea folks ? Going nuts over SSL..

Posted by Crypto Sal <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "sieger007@gmail.com" <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Crypto Sal <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski <ra...@id.uw.edu.pl>.
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:48:36 -0800
"sieger007@gmail.com" <si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> *.abc.com  as the common name from the CA.
> Can I still use the same key or is it a mismatch?

Yes, although the wildcard for CN is not recommended,
though not so unusual either.