Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "K.C. Baltz" <kc...@lollimail.com> on 2003/07/09 22:43:57 UTC

How to differentiate between timed-out user and new user?

I'm dealing with the issue of session timeout and I'm having trouble
figuring out how I can tell when a user is making a request after their
session has timed out.  I'd like to present them with a message
indicating that fact, rather than just assuming they're a new user and
sending them on to the login page.  Is there any way to detect this?   I
need to be able to do it with and without cookies.   I've considered
passing a parameter in every request that would let me detect that a
user had been logged in at some point, but that seems like it would
require a lot of manual intervention to insert that on every link.

K.C.