Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Shane Witbeck <sh...@digitalsanctum.com> on 2010/07/16 15:35:48 UTC

what are buildr users using to deploy?

I'm curious what other buildr users are using to deploy their java apps?

I've written custom buildr tasks using net-ssh and net-sftp to upload files
and perform remote admin tasks including deployment of wars and standalone
java apps.

While the custom tasks I wrote work well, I'm debating a move to something
like Capistrano/Murder with hooks in Buildr.

--
-Shane

Re: what are buildr users using to deploy?

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
We use Debian packages (see package_as_deb extension) at Intalio.

Posted by Kristof Jozsa <kr...@gmail.com>.
I think as long as it can transfer files eg via scp and copy to the
right directories, it could be useful for eg. remote WAR deployment..

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Posted by Shane Witbeck <sh...@digitalsanctum.com>.
Kristof,

I have dozens of Java apps that can be classified as dependency, standalone,
batch, and web. I've heavily extended Buildr to group similar functionality
for each type of app. For example, the web apps, all get deployed to one or
more Tomcat instances on several machines. By grouping the functionality, I
keep things concise and only have to update code in one place if I change
the way I deploy web apps.

I use net-sftp to upload all relevant files to a common NFS location for
each environment (we have 7 different environments). Then use net-ssh to do
pre and post remote operations like restarting Tomcat instances or
stopping/starting remote scripts.

I've been inspired recently by reading about some people are using
Capistrano to deploy Java apps and yesterday hearing about Twitter using
Murder to deploy to their large server farms.

Thanks,
Shane

Posted by Kristof Jozsa <kr...@gmail.com>.