Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jose Alberto Fernandez <JF...@viquity.com> on 2000/09/26 21:22:57 UTC

Licencing [was RE: GUI for Ant]

One thing I noticed on all this discussion is the fact that the FSF has all
this pages advising people on the use of their licensing model and to avoid
licensing using ASF. On the other hand I have not seen any pointers to
similar analysis on apache.org telling our side of the story and telling the
advantages of ASF style licenses in particular with Java.

I can understand why misinformed people will finish using GLP, because they
go and read around and nothing is telling them what they loose with GLP or
gain with ASF.

I think every jakarta/apache project should have in their home page a
pointer on "how to create OSS projects that use this work" in which we
explin to people to use ASF (or to not use GLP unless you understand you are
limiting who can use your stuff).

And we should also explain that LGPL is useless for java projects.

Jose Alberto

Re: Licencing [was RE: GUI for Ant]

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At 12:22  26/9/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >One thing I noticed on all this discussion is the fact that the FSF has all
> >this pages advising people on the use of their licensing model and to avoid
> >licensing using ASF. On the other hand I have not seen any pointers to
> >similar analysis on apache.org telling our side of the story and telling the
> >advantages of ASF style licenses in particular with Java.
> >
> >I can understand why misinformed people will finish using GLP, because they
> >go and read around and nothing is telling them what they loose with GLP or
> >gain with ASF.
> >
> >I think every jakarta/apache project should have in their home page a
> >pointer on "how to create OSS projects that use this work" in which we
> >explin to people to use ASF (or to not use GLP unless you understand you are
> >limiting who can use your stuff).
>
> This is a great idea !!
>
> I am forwarding it to the people who I know sit on PMC they should be in a
> position to examine the exact consequences of choices etc. They are also in
> best position to get such a move going.

Good point... It should be discussed, though, foundation-wide... Right
in time for the members meeting in London??? :)

> >And we should also explain that LGPL is useless for java projects.
>
> I believe the GNU project (or FSF in particular) has already documented
> this somewhere. Thou we should probably link to it.

Never seen it... If you find the link, just drop it here :)

	Pier

Re: Licencing [was RE: GUI for Ant]

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@mad.scientist.com>.
Hi,

At 12:22  26/9/00 -0700, you wrote:
>One thing I noticed on all this discussion is the fact that the FSF has all
>this pages advising people on the use of their licensing model and to avoid
>licensing using ASF. On the other hand I have not seen any pointers to
>similar analysis on apache.org telling our side of the story and telling the
>advantages of ASF style licenses in particular with Java.
>
>I can understand why misinformed people will finish using GLP, because they
>go and read around and nothing is telling them what they loose with GLP or
>gain with ASF.
>
>I think every jakarta/apache project should have in their home page a
>pointer on "how to create OSS projects that use this work" in which we
>explin to people to use ASF (or to not use GLP unless you understand you are
>limiting who can use your stuff).

This is a great idea !!

I am forwarding it to the people who I know sit on PMC they should be in a
position to examine the exact consequences of choices etc. They are also in
best position to get such a move going.

>And we should also explain that LGPL is useless for java projects.

I believe the GNU project (or FSF in particular) has already documented
this somewhere. Thou we should probably link to it.

Cheers,

Pete