Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/11/25 07:42:08 UTC

RE: Line Breaks and Not

My usual e-mail plaintext format does not have fixed line breaks inside
paragraphs.  That allows reflow in accordance with the recipients e-mail
browser window parameters (just like with web pages).

Because there are still many clients that won't reflow, and many users here
expect hard line breaks in paragraphs, my approach is to sign those e-mails.
The digital signature technique adds line breaks and other normalizations to
ensure that no intermediary or recipient breaks the signature.

I did not make any line breaks in the two preceding paragraphs.

I am signing this e-mail so that you will receive it broken up the way that it
is readable for you but I don't have to make the change for everyone I send
mail to.

I still forget to do this from time to time.

 - Dennis

How comes that the text is sometimes well formatting and like in this
mail it's only one long unwrapped line.

So, sorry if my hand-quoted text is worse.

Marcus

[ ... ]

Re: Line Breaks and Not

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11/25/2011 07:42 AM, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> My usual e-mail plaintext format does not have fixed line breaks inside
> paragraphs.  That allows reflow in accordance with the recipients e-mail
> browser window parameters (just like with web pages).

yes, pretty normal as I don't know nobody who makes a line wrap after 72
characters. ;-)

> Because there are still many clients that won't reflow, and many users here
> expect hard line breaks in paragraphs, my approach is to sign those e-mails.
> The digital signature technique adds line breaks and other normalizations to
> ensure that no intermediary or recipient breaks the signature.
>
> I did not make any line breaks in the two preceding paragraphs.

Wow, interesting effect as signing text shouldn't be the difference in
this case.

> I am signing this e-mail so that you will receive it broken up the way that it
> is readable for you but I don't have to make the change for everyone I send
> mail to.
>
> I still forget to do this from time to time.

It's OK, it was no personal criticism to you. I just was bothered of the
situation itself.

Marcus