Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Shweta Patel <sh...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/29 16:35:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.2.3 installation not as root

Hi,

I'm trying to install Apache 2 (httpd.2.2.3) with the following
configuration on Linux:

./configure --prefix=/home/sp/proj/ --exec-prefix=/home/sp/proj/
--with-port=8080 --enable-so --disable-ssl

After building and installing when I try to test:
/home/sp/proj/bin/apachectl start

I get error:

Syntax error on line 117 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf:

SSLCertificateFile: file '/etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt' does not exist
or is empty

I do not want the server to refer to the ssl.conf file or look for
server.crt since I'm not installing or running as root.

Is there a way for me to solve the problem without switching to as root
user?

Thanks!

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.3 installation not as root

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
Shweta,

On Dec 29, 2006, at 7:35 AM, Shweta Patel wrote:

> ./configure --prefix=/home/sp/proj/ --exec-prefix=/home/sp/proj/ --
> with-port=8080 --enable-so --disable-ssl
>
> After building and installing when I try to test: /home/sp/proj/bin/
> apachectl start
>
> I get error:
> Syntax error on line 117 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf:
> SSLCertificateFile: file '/etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt' does
> not exist or is empty

Y'know, I just saw something very similar happen with an httpd I
built from trunk. It was looking for httpd.conf in a location where I
had previously built, not the location I specified in --prefix in the
new build.

Try running make clean before you run make. That solved it for me.

Looks like we have an unreferenced dependency of a lot of stuff on
include/ap_config_auto.h ...

Posted by Vinay Y S <vi...@gmail.com>.
On 12/29/06, Shweta Patel <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After building and installing when I try to test:
> /home/sp/proj/bin/apachectl start
>
> I get error:
>
> Syntax error on line 117 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf:

apachectl might be the culprit here.

A couple of things you can do:
Go thru the /home/sp/proj/conf/ directory. Understand all the
configuration files and make sure you have only what you want. Give
special attention to httpd.conf file and all the include directives in
it. All references to any config file should be within your home
directory. There can't be any references /etc/httpd.
Read apache manual to understand how apache interprets ServerRoot and
other directory and file related directives.

Now, try
/home/sp/proj/bin/httpd -X -f /home/sp/proj/conf/httpd.conf
This should start your local installation of apache. If there are any
errors, you should see it on console and in
/home/sp/proj/logs/error.log (or whatever path you gave for ErrorLog
in httpd.conf).

HTH,
--
Vinay Y S
http://vinay-ys.blogspot.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.3 installation not as root

Posted by "Aplus Dedicated Support, Jarrod Overson" <ja...@aplus.net>.
There might be no reference to any ssl.conf in the httpd.conf, it may be
that the whole conf.d directory is included with something like

Include /path/to/conf.d/*.conf

Posted by Serge Dubrouski <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shweta Patel <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Serge Dubrouski <se...@gmail.com>.