Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Mutsaers <pe...@mutsaers.com> on 2001/09/21 16:46:52 UTC

WebappClassLoader ok in 4.0-B7, not in release

Hello,

Using 4.0-B7 I have been able to load oracle JDBC driver which
includes jdbc2-extention (javax.sql.*), by putting it in
$(CATALINA_HOME)/lib or $(CATALINA_HOME)/common/lib

Now with 4.0-release, I keep getting :

java.lang.LinkageError: Class javax/sql/PooledConnection violates loader constraints
        at ctool.common.ConnectionCache.(ConnectionCache.java:93)

I've almost tried putting this driver everywhere (including
$(JAVA_HOME)/jre/lib/ext) but to no avail.

Is there any difference between 4.0-B7 and 4.0-release that might
cause this?

Looking at a source-diff, I see only the folliwing significant changes:

<         clazz = defineClass(name, entry.binaryContent, 0,
<                             entry.binaryContent.length, codeSource);
---
>         synchronized(entry) {
>             ° Since all threads use the same ResourceEntry instance,
>             it is
>             ° the one which will contain the class
>             if (entry.loadedClass == null) {
>                 clazz = defineClass(name, entry.binaryContent, 0,
>                                     entry.binaryContent.length,
>                                     codeSource);
>                 entry.loadedClass = clazz;
>             } else {
>                 clazz = entry.loadedClass;
>             }
>         }

and

<         synchronized (resourceEntries) {
<             resourceEntries.put(name, entry);
---
>         synchronized (this) {
>             ° Ensures that all the threads which may be in a race to
>             load
>             ° a particular class all end up with the same
>             ResourceEntry
>             ° instance
>             ResourceEntry entry2 = (ResourceEntry)
>             resourceEntries.get(name);
>             if (entry2 == null) {
>                 resourceEntries.put(name, entry);
>             } else {
>                 entry = entry2;
>             }

Could one of these changes have something to do with it?

Btw I already tried taking out javax.sql.* from the Oracle JDBC-driver
package and use jdbc2_0_ext.jar from SUN instead, it didn't make a
difference.

Peter Mutsaers  |  Dübendorf    | UNIX - Live free or die
plm@gmx.li      |  Switzerland  | Sent via FreeBSD 4.3-stable