Posted to sanselan-dev@incubator.apache.org by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/10 16:46:12 UTC

Re: A wish to add to sanselan's wish list ;)

Hi Enric,

   Thanks for your questions.

   I (like many people) am not a fan of java's built-in serialization
mechanism (ie. java.ui.Serializable, etc.).  For one thing, it is (to
the best of my knowledge) incompatible with final fields.  I use they
often to enforce the immutability of classes.

   Even worse, it violates the design principle of "Separation of
concerns," by requiring serialization logic to be intermingled with
model logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns

   There are many Java serialization alternatives (often using xml).
Try this search:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=java+serialization+xml&btnG=Google+Search

  Sanselan's data structures are pretty straight-forward; you should
be able to easily serialize them using any of these libraries.

   About the Unknown EXIF tag: EXIF is an open-ended standard and
there are many "custom" or proprietary tags that aren't documented,
much less widely adopted.  If you find documentation on this tag, I'd
love to see it.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=ea1c+exif&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.google.com/search?q=59932+exif&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

   I use Phil Harvey's archive as my de-facto EXIF standard.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Charles.

ps. I've cc'd the sanselan-dev mailing list.