Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Nóirín Plunkett <no...@apache.org> on 2012/02/27 21:55:23 UTC

Admins for GSoC 2012

Applications are now open, and I've started going through the process.

Several people offered to be a backup admin, but the form only allows
us to have one backup.

For those of you who've offered, do you specifically want to help with
the admin side (mostly a matter of chasing up mentors for evaluations,
and mentors & students for mid-term and final reports), or would you
be equally happy to help by proposing, evaluating or mentoring
projects (a task that doesn't require you to be an admin)? You'll get
a t-shirt either way :-)

If you really want to help with the admin side, please create a
profile in Melange
(http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012) and send
me your linkid.

Uli, unless you object, I'd suggest that we put someone who hasn't
been an admin before as the "official" backup (so that they can see
the whole thing from the inside). Your help is very, very welcome, of
course, but I think it's advantageous to spread the knowledge too :-)

Noirin

Re: Admins for GSoC 2012

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Done:

http://community.apache.org/gsoc-admin-tasks.html

FYI, we are now at step one. The email to the PMCs should go out as soon as possible. Also, make
sure that all our GSoC-related pages are up to date. They are a mess with information spread over
several pages and no clean navigation so cleaning them up may be an ideal task for newcomers to
learn about our processes and at the same time contribute something extremely useful.

Also, we haven't set up a mentor vetting procedure yet. The idea was to have PMCs ACK their
potential mentors. We need to write that up.

As for temporary accounts for students, infra is against setting up temporary accounts. PMCs should
either vote the students in as committers or have them work like any other outside contributors via
mailing lists and patches. I agree.

Uli

Re: Admins for GSoC 2012

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Re: Admins for GSoC 2012

Posted by Tomaž Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
If you already have enough backup admins I would also be equally happy to
just help by proposing and mentoring projects :)

Thanks,
Tomaz

Re: Admins for GSoC 2012

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Noirin,

As my schedules are permitting, I will certainly help with proposing, evaluating and mentoring. I will be happy to help out as backup admin if needed, but I am not particular. I am glad to get involved either way and get the t-shirt :)

Suresh