Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Bruce E. Stemplewski" <Br...@stempsoft.com> on 2005/07/25 08:54:27 UTC

Newbie: Connection refused first time on Tomcat

I just installed Tomcat for the first time ever so please forgive the
newbie question.  I installed Apache Tomcat 5.5.9 Server and J2RE JSE
5.0 on an XP operating system.  Tomcat starts up fine but when I try to
go to the Welcome page, or the Manager Page.  I get "The connection was
refused attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:8080"  in FireFox, IE gives me
this page cannot be displayed.

I check the Tomcat logs and the  stdout log has a few entries that read:

This release of Apache Tomcat was packaged to run on J2SE 5.0
or later. It can be run on earlier JVMs by downloading and
installing a compatibility package from the Apache Tomcat
binary download page.

Any ideas what I should look at first?

Bruce Stemplewski
www.stempsoft.com

"We are all in the same boat in a stormy sea,
and we owe each other a terrible loyalty".
G. K. Chesterton