Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2007/04/19 20:34:01 UTC

[LDAP Studio] What do you think about using folder without space?

Hi guys,

I just installed LDAP Studio .7 on another machine (UNIX) and realized that
I don't like the extra space in the folder for 'LDAP Studio'.   Does any
other UNIX bigot share this same peeve with me?

Is it OK with LS team to use ldapstudio instead.  I'd rather be more UNIX
friendly than MAC or M$ friendly but this is just my old bigotted self.  If
there is an issue with doing this I'll survive :).

Alex

Re: [LDAP Studio] What do you think about using folder without space?

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
I totally agree with these points.  When I was weighing in with my opinion
earlier I was only talking about the folders and executable on *nix
platforms.  I have seen many projects using mixed case and spaces in folders
in Windows and Mac.  Not sure about  spaces in executables on Windows
though, I don't ever recall seeing too much of that.  Obviously I think the
project name should stay as is  ;-)

Chris

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
100% ACK.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 4/20/07, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> wrote:

> <snip/>
>

> So, I am :
> +1 for 'ldapstudio' on Linux packages (i386 & PPC)
> -1 for 'ldapstudio' on other platforms packages (even Windows, because I
> don't think this is a real issue on this OS).

The point is that having two different names on different platforms
(ldapstudio and LdapStudio ) is a burden when you have to write clear
documentation : you will have to give direction for users. I must say that I
*hate* fovo where you have little pictures in the margin warning you about
'this is for linux only' or 'windows only'...

We should think global, IMHO. And the name on W$ or MacOsx should not be a
big deal, as you are using icons anyway.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [LDAP Studio] What do you think about using folder without space?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Make sense to fix the problem only on platforms where it matters.

Alex

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
ldapstudio is ok for me. Even under w$, this is painfull to have a space. I
never compnained about the space, because now Linux is adding the '\ ' for
me, but I agree with alex that ldapstudio is better

so +1 for ldapstudio

On 4/19/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I just installed LDAP Studio .7 on another machine (UNIX) and realized
> that I don't like the extra space in the folder for 'LDAP Studio'.   Does
> any other UNIX bigot share this same peeve with me?
>
> Is it OK with LS team to use ldapstudio instead.  I'd rather be more UNIX
> friendly than MAC or M$ friendly but this is just my old bigotted self.  If
> there is an issue with doing this I'll survive :).
>
> Alex

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com