Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@redhat.com> on 2014/08/25 20:16:11 UTC

[ApacheCon] Contacting dev@ and users@ lists

ApacheCon is now less than three months away, and it's time to contact
our projects and tell them why they should attend the event. I need a
lot of help in making this happen. With 190 projects, it's a significant
task to send targeted messages, rather than just spamming all of our
lists with a generic announcement.

What I need help with:

* Identifying the projects that have relevant content at ApacheCon
* Contacting the dev@ and users@ list of that project with a targeted
message listing the talks/events that are of interest, including not
only technical content but also the community content, lightning talks,
evening events, and keynotes.  I could use some help writing the
boilerplate text that we want to send out, which would then be filled in
with content specific to that project or projects.
* Keeping track of what projects have been contacted, so that we're not
spamming them.
* Getting individual speakers to blog about the presentations they will
be giving, and mentioning these blog posts on the relevant mailing lists.

If you're willing to pitch in, please let me know, and I'll add you to
the Google Doc where I'm tracking this stuff. This kind of message is
always better received when it comes from someone that the community
already knows.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison

Keynote Promotion? (was Re: [ApacheCon] Contacting dev@ and users@ lists)

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Mon, Aug 25, 2014, at 01:16 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> * Getting individual speakers to blog about the presentations they will
> be giving, and mentioning these blog posts on the relevant mailing lists.

I think one of our avenues for "big" coverage pre-ApacheCon would be our
non-ASF keynotes: Douglas Carswell and Hugh Howey.

Do we know if they have any interest in doing interviews or appearances
on podcasts, etc.?

Pretty sure I could line up interviews / podcasts for Carswell and
Howey, if they can make time to do them. I expect Carswell to have a
tighter schedule, but we might be able to wrangle a few good pieces of
coverage if he will make the time.

Note that both Carswell and Howey also have twitter followings near 20K,
so it'd be helpful even if they do no more than tweet a few times
they'll be at ApacheCon. (Though, of course, I hope they'll do more than
that!)

Rich, or whomever is our contact with Carswell and Howey, can you make
an intro?

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: [ApacheCon] Contacting dev@ and users@ lists

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On 08/25/2014 01:16 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> ApacheCon is now less than three months away, and it's time to contact
> our projects and tell them why they should attend the event. I need a
> lot of help in making this happen. With 190 projects, it's a significant
> task to send targeted messages, rather than just spamming all of our
> lists with a generic announcement.
>
> What I need help with:
>
> * Identifying the projects that have relevant content at ApacheCon
> * Contacting the dev@ and users@ list of that project with a targeted
> message listing the talks/events that are of interest, including not
> only technical content but also the community content, lightning talks,
> evening events, and keynotes.  I could use some help writing the
> boilerplate text that we want to send out, which would then be filled in
> with content specific to that project or projects.
> * Keeping track of what projects have been contacted, so that we're not
> spamming them.
> * Getting individual speakers to blog about the presentations they will
> be giving, and mentioning these blog posts on the relevant mailing lists.
>

> If you're willing to pitch in, please let me know, and I'll add you to
> the Google Doc where I'm tracking this stuff. This kind of message is
> always better received when it comes from someone that the community
> already knows.

Yeah, in fact I'd be happy to take lead on this to take some weight off
your shoulders. Promoting ApacheCon is pretty essential - that's one of
the things I took away from the CIO forum last week in Chicago.

Do you prefer Google Docs/spreadsheets to track all this sort of stuff?

Best,

jzb