Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2012/03/31 19:07:30 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.27

The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.27 release is now available for voting.

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.27/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-132/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_27/

The proposed 7.0.27 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.27 Stable

Cheers,

Mark

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.27

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
This vote passes.

The votes were as follows:

+1:
markt (binding)
rjung (binding)
olamy (binding)
kkolinko (binding)
schultz
fhanik (binding)

I'll move the files to /dist, give the mirrors time to sync and then
announce the release. Might happen later tonight, might be tomorrow.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.27

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 31.03.2012 19:07, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.27 release is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.27/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-132/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_27/
>
> The proposed 7.0.27 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.27 Stable

+1, this time again no test failure!

Details:

- MD5 OK
- signatures OK
- key in KEYS file
- gz and zip for src and bin consistent
- src consistent with svn tag, except for the following minor points
   (no regression or fixed now)
   - line ends of modules/jdbc-pool/resources/MANIFEST.MF differ
     between svn and gz although eol-style is set correctly.
   - the files we copy before building, e.g.
     catalina.properties and jdbc-pool.xml are of course
     not in svn for the cp target location, but they are
     in the src bundles.
- builds fine
- build result looks consistent with binaries
- no checkstyle complaints
- no Javadoc errors
- Unit tests no failures
- JMX MBean-Comparison only expected differences:
   - 4 new MBeans (Servlets wsChat, wsEchoStream, wsSnake, wsEchoMesage)
   - 3 additional loggers (all below websocket)
   - cacheSize in context=/examples went up from 25 to 27
   - one additional thread was started (some daemon thread)

Build and tests were done using Java 1.6.0_30, OS was Solaris 10 Sparc,
tcnative was 1.1.23 based on APR 1.4.6 and OpenSSL 1.0.0g.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.27

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 02.04.2012 22:29, Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> I'm curious: which mod_jk version did you use?
>>
>> 1.2.31
>>
>> I am mainly concerned about the AJP implementation on the Java side but
>> I should probably update that to 1.2.35.
>
> I just re-ran the 7.0.27 RC through the Servlet 3.0 TCK with httpd +
> mod_jk 1.2.35 and all three AJP connectors (BIO, NIO, APR) and all tests
> passed.

Good to know, thanks!

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.27

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
>    - AJP via httpd + mod_jk to BIO, NIO and APR/native
>    - AJP via httpd + mod_proxy_ajp to BIO, NIO and APR/native

I'm curious: which mod_jk version did you use?

Thanks and Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.27

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 31/03/2012 18:07, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.27 release is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.27/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-132/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_27/
>
> The proposed 7.0.27 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.27 Stable

Unit tests passed with 64-bit JVM on Windows and Linux

TCK passed with 64-bit JVM on linux in the following combinations:
- EL
- JSP with direct HTTP to BIO, NIO and APR/native
- Servlet with
  - direct HTTP to BIO, NIO and APR/native
  - AJP via httpd + mod_jk to BIO, NIO and APR/native
  - AJP via httpd + mod_proxy_ajp to BIO, NIO and APR/native
  - HTTP via httpd + mod_proxy_http to BIO, NIO and APR/native

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/3/31 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.27 release is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.27/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-132/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_27/

Quick testing, install & uninstall - OK
on Windows (WinXP and Win7) with 32-bit JRE 6u31.

Testsuite run with BIO, NIO, APR connectors
On WinXP with Oracle JDK 6u31 32-bit, Tomcat-Native 1.1.23
 - all tests passed, except only one:

The failed test:
org.apache.catalina.loader.TestWebappClassLoaderExecutorMemoryLeak

It failed with BIO. On a rerun it failed with BIO and NIO. So it is
reproducible and it is occasional and I think it does not matter what
connector is used.

Testcase: testTimerThreadLeak took 2,547 sec
	FAILED
null
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: null
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.TestWebappClassLoaderExecutorMemoryLeak.testTimerThreadLeak(TestWebappClassLoaderExecutorMemoryLeak.java:72)

The code there tests Executor state. Maybe the test itself is wrong
and there should be some pause before Executor terminates:
L71:        Assert.assertTrue(executorServlet.tpe.isShutdown());
L72:        Assert.assertTrue(executorServlet.tpe.isTerminated());

Anyway I do not see how this could noticeably impact Tomcat functionality.

> [x] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.27 Stable

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.27

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1
Tested maven artifacts with the plugin.
And I have tested applications.

2012/3/31 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.27 release is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.27/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-132/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_27/
>
> The proposed 7.0.27 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.27 Stable
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.27

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/4/4 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> Oddly, this file has the wrong Content-Type header (text/plain) returned
> by the server so it doesn't render properly in a web browser:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.27/README.html

You are just looking into repository how it is served by Subversion.
It follows whether svn:mime-type is set on it, defaulting to
text/plain. It is possible to do svn propset on the file, but I do not
see much point.

When release is published the files will be checked out into a working
copy [1] and served by HTTPD from that working copy. At that time it
should be served correctly.

[1] http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#website-auto-update

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.27

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 3/31/12 1:07 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.27 release is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.27/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-132/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_27/
>
> The proposed 7.0.27 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.27 Stable

- Test system is Debian Squeeze, Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
(build 20.1-b02, mixed mode), OpenSSL 0.9.8o, APR 1.4.2
- MD5 sums compare
- GnuPG signatures match
- ZIP and tarball have same contents
- Source builds properly
- tcnative 1.1.23 (included) builds properly
- Unit tests pass (except for tribes, which are expected to fail with
                   no multicast support, right? See below for details)
- 2 days of light use in development system (Debian Linux and Mac OS X)
seem fine

I had a failure in this unit test:
output/build/logs/TEST-org.apache.catalina.authenticator.TestFormAuthenticator.BIO.txt:Tests
run: 5, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 60.127 sec

...and before I could investigate, I inadvertently blew-away my test
logs. A second run of tests did not have any errors in that test case.
It's possible that I was suspending (^Z) and resuming the unit test
process in such a way as to interfere with the proper execution of the
test that one time.

Oddly, this file has the wrong Content-Type header (text/plain) returned
by the server so it doesn't render properly in a web browser:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.27/README.html

Maybe someone could look into that.

-chris

PS Unit test failures in these tests:

org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.APR
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.BIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.NIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.APR
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.BIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.NIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.APR
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.BIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.NIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.APR
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.BIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.NIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.APR
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.BIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.NIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.APR
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.BIO
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.NIO