Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2015/10/02 14:23:26 UTC

[ENQUIRY] Some general feedback on our build system

Hi,

I would like to take the opportunity to ask the people registered to our mailing lists regarding their experience with the builds of our projects.

Q1: Have you ever built flex-sdk, flex-falcon, flex-asjs, ...?

Q2: Did you have any problems with this?

Q3: If you were having problems, would making this easier make you contribute (more)?

Q4: Do you think it is important to have the latest development version available as binaries (via Installer and Maven)?

I would greatly appreciate if the one or the other on our lists could take the time to answer at least some of these questions.

Chris

Re: [ENQUIRY] Some general feedback on our build system

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

> Q1: Have you ever built flex-sdk, flex-falcon, flex-asjs, …?

Yes.

> Q2: Did you have any problems with this?

Yes. My biggest issues are generally related to setting up environment variables and mapping dependencies to get things to compile correctly. It seems trickier than it should be.

> Q3: If you were having problems, would making this easier make you contribute (more)?

Definitely. Like Om mentioned, there’s overhead getting back into things when you have been stale for a little while. Being able to just jump back in (and set up other machines) with little overhead would be VERY helpful.

> Q4: Do you think it is important to have the latest development version available as binaries (via Installer and Maven)?

I’m not sure. For me personally, I think being able to build the binaries from the latest source with a single click seems more important for working on the development branch.

For trying it out, I can see where this would be useful.

Of course, I know nothing about Maven and have never used it.

Harbs

RE: [ENQUIRY] Some general feedback on our build system

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
1. Yes
2. Setting it up from scratch is a trial by fire.  Much easier after you've done it once.
3. I'm sure it would change the way people contribute if their stopping block was just setting things up.
4. Yes, if people want to test/use the possibly unstable versions.  This could however allow them to gain a new feature or bug fix before our next release.

-Mark

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 2, 2015 2:23 PM, "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I would like to take the opportunity to ask the people registered to our
mailing lists regarding their experience with the builds of our projects.

> Q1: Have you ever built flex-sdk, flex-falcon, flex-asjs, ...?

Yes.

> Q2: Did you have any problems with this?

I used to have problems,  but usually ended up figuring a way out.

> Q3: If you were having problems, would making this easier make you
contribute (more)?

Most definitely.   I jump in and out of contributing to Flex and FlexJS.
And stay out of the loop completely for weeks or even months together.   I
always struggle to get back into the groove.  I end up spending quite a bit
of time setting up the env. and builds each time.

> Q4: Do you think it is important to have the latest development version
available as binaries (via Installer and Maven)?

For Flex, I think it is time to start supporting Maven builds.

For FlexJS, since it is evolving a lot,  I am more comfortable with Ant.  I
dont know Maven will enough to do new stuff with it.

> I would greatly appreciate if the one or the other on our lists could
take the time to answer at least some of these questions.

Thanks for starting this conversation!

Regards,
Om

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Q1: Have you ever built flex-sdk, flex-falcon, flex-asjs, …?

Yep can get flex-dk to compile, but last two times I’ve tried the various FlexJS bits I was unable to compile despite following the instruction in the readme.

> Q2: Did you have any problems with this?

Yep see above.

> Q3: If you were having problems, would making this easier make you contribute (more)?

Probably, it would certainly be a better use of time I can spend on the project.

> Q4: Do you think it is important to have the latest development version available as binaries (via Installer and Maven)?

Yep, esp given the slow release cycles.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [ENQUIRY] Some general feedback on our build system

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Q1: Have you ever built flex-sdk, flex-falcon, flex-asjs, ...?
yes, I tried, but found it too tricky/time consuming

Q2: Did you have any problems with this?
yes, I was unable to finish the build due to too much additional
configuration need to be done before the build

Q3: If you were having problems, would making this easier make you
contribute (more)?
sure

Q4: Do you think it is important to have the latest development version
available as binaries (via Installer and Maven)?
actually yes, I need to ask Piotr every time I would like to test if my
installation is correct, and it seems to wrong
having automatic builds might simplify this process a lot

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [ENQUIRY] Some general feedback on our build system

Posted by Nemi <ne...@gmail.com>.
Q1: Have you ever built flex-sdk, flex-falcon, flex-asjs, ...?
No, but I will

Q2: Did you have any problems with this?
I hope not when I try it

Q3: If you were having problems, would making this easier make you
contribute (more)?
Yes

Q4: Do you think it is important to have the latest development version
available as binaries (via Installer and Maven)?
Yes, so I can try it fastest possible.

Re: [ENQUIRY] Some general feedback on our build system

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
> Q1: Have you ever built flex-sdk, flex-falcon, flex-asjs, ...?

Yes.

> Q2: Did you have any problems with this?

I found that binaries of flex-sdk are easy to build. Just set up some
required variables in env.properties and run the binary-release target.

I've never properly finished a binary release build of flex-falcon or
flex-asjs. Something always seems to fail. I can usually get the JX
compiler JARs to build, so I end up copying them into a nightly to test my
changes.

> Q3: If you were having problems, would making this easier make you
contribute (more)?

It would certainly make me more confident in my contributions. An older
nightly may have slight differences compared to the latest code. I would
prefer to do a full build and test it standalone.

> Q4: Do you think it is important to have the latest development version
available as binaries (via Installer and Maven)?

I don't use Maven.

I don't doubt developers will want to try out nightlies from the installer
as FlexJS becomes more popular.

- Josh

Re: [ENQUIRY] Some general feedback on our build system

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax