Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by ge...@att.net on 2014/01/22 17:21:17 UTC

Fw: Email Capable?

----- Original Message -----
From: george.zurek@att.net
To: contactus@openoffice.us.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:33 AM
Subject: Email Capable?

My Laptop 's OS is Windows 8.
I migrated my email address from the UK, it is a pop3 account that has been configured to a one months trial  of Microsoft office 365,I am told that I need to purchase this product to be able to continue to use my email.(george.zurek@btconnect.com) would Open Office enable me to use my email?
Kind Regards
George Zurek.

Re: Fw: Email Capable?

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
I have a Google mail account Gmail using Pop3. 3. In settings there is
Configure your email client (e.g. Outlook, Eudora, Netscape Mail) Configuration
instructions<http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=12103&ctx=mail>

so there is no need to make your e-mail dependent on either MS Office or
Open Office. You can use Gmail and probably other web based mail systems by
themselves or configured to link with a desk based client. The advantage
over a web based mail client is that you can get your e-mail at any time
from any device, not just one specific machine. Also the provider backs
everything up for you so no worries about any of that stuff. Google apps
are free so there is no need to buy Office 365 or indeed any office
software at all. Gmail and Google apps provide an integrated web based
system that can handle most tasks. Apache OpenOffice provides an additional
range of tools for more complex needs. we run our entire business using
this combination so it is perfectly possible to do.

--
Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications <https://theingots.org/community/faq#7.0>

Headline points in the 2014, 2015, 2016 school league tables

www.th <http://www.theINGOTs.org>*elearningmachine.co.uk
<http://elearningmachine.co.uk>* +44 (0)1827 305940

The Learning Machine Limited, Reg Office, Unit 4D Gagarin, Lichfield
Road Industrial Estate, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 7GN. Reg No:
05560797, Registered in England and Wales.