Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2002/02/25 10:49:12 UTC

NekoHTML Parser License Change

I've had a rather limited response to my NekoHTML parser based
on the Xerces Native Interface (XNI). So I'm still not sure if
it should take up space as part of the standard Xerces-J
project.

However... I've had enough of an interest that it makes sense
to make it more freely available for use. Therefore, I have
changed the license agreement to an Apache style license. You
can download the latest release from the following URL:

  http://www.apache.org/~andyc/

If interest increases then we could consider moving it into
the Xerces-J tree or having it hosted from possibly SourceForge.
In short, development will continue as warranted. There are a
few things in JTidy that look useful so that may be the next
step I take with NekoHTML.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: NekoHTML Parser License Change

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
I am very interested in it too, but have not had time to work on it.

I am thinking of trying to target a website and crawl through the pages,
transform it into XML (as much as possible...) and deposit it somewhere.

Thanks for doing this Andy!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Andy Clark wrote:
>
> >I've had a rather limited response to my NekoHTML parser based
> >on the Xerces Native Interface (XNI). So I'm still not sure if
> >it should take up space as part of the standard Xerces-J
> >project.
> >
> Having a limited response doesn't mean it's not interesting. Xerces 2 is
> rather new, and it will take some time for people to look at the new
> possibilities it offers. But you can be sure that parsing HTML is really
> a need for many people.
>
> We've hacked AElfred to parse some "augmented" html (html with
> additional prefixed attributes), and XNI/NeckoHTML looks more robust and
> open than what we've done. Now that its license allows a wider use, we
> will have a deeper look at it in the coming weeks.
>
> I will also look for its integration in Cocoon as a
> replacement/alternative for JTidy.
>
> Thanks for this stuff. It would also gain a wider audience if it were
> part of Xerces-J.

I was thinking the exact same thing: cocoon is currently using JTidy in
order to parse HTML and provide XHTML that can be sent thru Cocoon
pipelines.

I fully agree with Sylvain that NeckoHTML would have a much higher
chance of use and growth (community-wise and adoption on other projects)
if it was integrated with Xerces-J.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: NekoHTML Parser License Change

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.