Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Austin Shelton <as...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/09 15:05:34 UTC

Publisher Templates?

Hi,

A friend of mine is considering switching from her Windows computer to a Macintosh. She is stuck because she uses Microsoft Publisher and an equivalent is not available on MacOSX. I am thinking that maybe she could use OO instead.

Here's the thing. It seems like I could set up templates in OO (if possible). That's what she uses the most. So my question is: Has anyone developed templates for (for example) greeting cards, business cards, etc? Can you share your templates with us?

Thank You,

Re: Publisher Templates?

Posted by John Jason Jordan <jo...@comcast.net>.
On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 13:23:39 -0800
Scooter <sc...@scootersdesk.com> dijo:

>Good Afternoon Group,
>
>I'm glad the war is over, I was worried.
>I had a major catastrophe [I lost my OS] Dec.31 And its taken me 2
>weeks to recover. Boy! What a time you all had!
>
>This email from Austin brought up a question I haven't asked: Is there
>a AOO or open-source replacement for Microsoft's Publisher?
>
>I've tried Presentation & Draw but can't quite get what I want.
>Also, I have several xxx.pub files I can't use.

What you want is Scribus. It is far more powerful than MS Publisher. And
I believe the current development version has an import filter for MS
Publisher files. Plus, of course, it has import filters for OO/LO
writer documents which preserve the styles.

But if you are not familiar with page layout apps you may have a
learning curve. The important thing to remember is that it is page
oriented, so each page should be considered a container. Whatever you
put on a page stays on that page until you move it. Text doesn't flow
like it does in a word processor. It's a bit like if the only way to
place text in an OO/LO document was in frames.

Re: Publisher Templates?

Posted by Scooter <sc...@scootersdesk.com>.
Good Afternoon Group,

I'm glad the war is over, I was worried.
I had a major catastrophe [I lost my OS] Dec.31 And its taken me 2 weeks
to recover. Boy! What a time you all had!

This email from Austin brought up a question I haven't asked: Is there a
AOO or open-source replacement for Microsoft's Publisher?

I've tried Presentation & Draw but can't quite get what I want.
Also, I have several xxx.pub files I can't use.

Take Care.
Scooter
College Park, MD USA

Re: Publisher Templates?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Austin Shelton <as...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A friend of mine is considering switching from her Windows computer to a Macintosh. She is stuck because she uses Microsoft Publisher and an equivalent is not available on MacOSX. I am thinking that maybe she could use OO instead.
>
> Here's the thing. It seems like I could set up templates in OO (if possible). That's what she uses the most. So my question is: Has anyone developed templates for (for example) greeting cards, business cards, etc? Can you share your templates with us?

Hello Austin,

Today is your lucky day!

We have an entire repository of templates for OpenOffice, over 1000 of
them.  You can find them here:

http://templates.openoffice.org/

Regards,

-Rob

> Thank You,

Re: Publisher Templates?

Posted by ug...@talktalk.net.
 Yes, this is quite possible.
However, it is not recommended.
Scribus does not handle RGB output profiles,
and cannot colour manage the workflow.

-a

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Publisher Templates?

Posted by ug...@talktalk.net.

Re: Fwd: Publisher Templates?

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Re: Publisher Templates?

Posted by Austin Shelton <as...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the tips. I've decided to go with OO templates. She doesn't need to do desktop publishing, per se.  She has very simple requirements.

ashelton3@gmail.com
sites.google.com/site/ashelton3

> On Jan 10, 2014, at 2:15 AM, ugajin@talktalk.net wrote:
>

> Scribus may not be suitable if you are outputting to an ink-jet printer.

Fwd: Publisher Templates?

Posted by ug...@talktalk.net.

Re: Publisher Templates?

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.