Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2016/06/04 06:46:21 UTC

Ejji traemark

Hi,

While I like the name, there are a large number of Japanese companies with similar trademarks. Is this a concern? If you search here [1] you can see them. Not being able to read Japanese I have little idea what the trademarks are for.

Of the names on the list Pipir, Diztil, Kinaara and Edgent have no trademark issue. Anemone and Fledge have some hits and may or may not have an issue.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Dan Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
On 6/6/2016 11:41 AM, Kathy Saunders wrote:
> Note that both Distil and Piper do have some hits, that could
> potentially be of concern.  There is a Piper software that runs on the
> Raspberry Pi (see the end of this email)
>
> Here is my inclination at this point:
>
> Vote on the following names, after reading through the potential issues
> which I will lay out more carefully on the wiki:

> Distil

The vote should be on "Diztil" with the "zed" or "zee" if you like, the
original intention was that it was unique.

However, my point was that name searches should include the similar
"distil" for the same reasons a trademark on "Nicky Mouse" would likely
be rejected as being similar to an existing trademark.

Dan.

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by William Marshall <wc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Kathy Saunders <os...@gmail.com>.
+1 for me

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Susan Cline <ho...@pacbell.net>.
+1

Susan

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Queenie Ma <qu...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Queenie

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Victor Dogaru <vd...@gmail.com>.
I am OK with that.

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@apache.org>.
On 6/6/16 11:34 PM, Kathy Saunders wrote:

> Are others ok with a vote between Edgent and Kinaara?
>
> Kathy

  I am fine with that.

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Kathy Saunders <os...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Mike Spicer <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Kathy Saunders <os...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ejji traemark

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Dan Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Kathy Saunders <os...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Kathy Saunders

>> How do others feel?  Should we proceed with a vote on those four names or
> have further discussion and ideas?
>
> Kathy

I thought I would summarize the potential issues with the names that we
would be taking off the list, in case there are further thoughts:

Ejji - Trademarks in Japan that are written up in Japanese characters, so I
don't know what the issues might be.

Anemone - Rental management software, analysis monitor written in Python,
theming engine for iOS, web spider framework, quite a few projects on
github although almost all of them appear to be very small or inactive.
There are trademarks on Anemone, but none in the computer or software
arena.  I think we probably could get through with this name, but there is
some usage and risk.

Fledge - programs to help companies take conscious issues to the world, IT
and services company, Clothing trademark.  I don't think this one is likely
to cause an issue, but not as clean as the other four choices.

Given these potential issues, should we include any of these in the vote?

Kathy

Re: Ejji traemark

Posted by Kathy Saunders <os...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ejji traemark