Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jan Hoskens <jh...@schaubroeck.be> on 2004/10/14 08:53:17 UTC

Re: Changing the cocoon default date format

Do you mean entering a date in the webbrowser? When setting a date in
the definition with  a specified format, this format is used for
entering dates in the input fields of your browser. If you want your
date format in your xml file (binded data source/destination) you need
to set your binding formatting.

So
<fd:field id="input">
    <fd:label>mylabel</fd:label>
    <fd:datatype base="date">
        <fd:convertor type="formatting">
             <fd:patterns>
                 <fd:pattern>dd/MM/yyyy</fd:pattern>
           </fd:patterns>
       </fd:convertor>
   </fd:datatype>
</fd:field>

Would make you're browser inputfield accept the defined format (if this
is what you needed, didn't it work? Also when specifying a pattern, try
leaving out the style="long" attribute.)

The next sample should set the date format in your xml file that was
binded to your form:

<fb:value id="input" path="input">
      <fd:convertor datatype="date">
           <fd:patterns>
                <fd:pattern>dd/MM/yyyy</fd:pattern>

             </fd:patterns>
        </fd:convertor>
   </fb:value>

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Jan

Posted by Jan Hoskens <jh...@schaubroeck.be>.
The stuff on the TimLarson (class, new, union, struct) page is available
in cocoon 2.1.5 (and up I guess;-)

Kind Regards,
Jan

Posted by Luca Garulli <l....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Hoskens <jh...@schaubroeck.be>.
Global default dateformat setting? Not that I know of. I think they use
the locale to determine the default dateformat. Not a setting somewhere.

You might want to look at class widgets
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/TimLarson . With a class you can define
(in ONE definition/binding/template)  a class widget and instantiate it
multiple times. So you could create a class with a date widget and use
several instances of that class. But you need to know that the binding
will have to be the same. So every date element has to have the same
bean/xml element to bind to, but they might be in different contexts.

<fd:class id="dateClass">
      <fd:widgets>
          <fd:field id="date">
                 <fd:datatype base="date">
                       <fd:convertor type="formatting">
                          <fd:patterns>
                                <fd:pattern>dd/MM/yyyy</fd:pattern>
                          </fd:patterns>
                    </fd:convertor>
               </fd:datatype>
          </fd:field>
     </fd:widgets>
 </fd:class>

then instantiate with : <fd:new id="dateClass/>

binding goes the same, you may change it context, but the actual element
binding path will be the same for each instance (it's in the class,
remember):

<fb:class id="dateClass">
            <fb:value id="date" path="date"/>
</fb:class>

<fb:context path="somewhere">
    <fb:new id="dateClass"/>
</fb:context>

There are some discussions for new stuff, including "catalogs" or
"repositories" with widgets that you can easily reuse:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/WoodyScratchpad

Kind Regards,
Jan

Posted by Luca Garulli <l....@gmail.com>.