Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net> on 2013/03/12 18:27:58 UTC

Can Tomcat 8 snapshots be published to Maven?

I'm experimenting with using Tomcat embedded. I need Tomcat 8.0, because I need Servlet 3.1 and WebSocket features. I can accomplish this manually I'm sure, but all of the tutorials out there for using Tomcat embedded (that I've found) show it using Maven, and frankly I prefer to use Maven when I can.

So I went on the Maven central repository and saw that the newest Tomcat on there was 7.0.37. Some projects publish SNAPSHOT artifacts from nightly trunk builds, but it appears that Tomcat does not. Two questions:

1) Is there a repository other than central that has nightly trunk snapshots published?
2) If not, is it possible to start getting nightly trunk snapshots published?

Re: Can Tomcat 8 snapshots be published to Maven?

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Mar 14, 2013, at 7:25 AM, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomcat/

>>> Sweet! Thanks! So will I need to add https://repository.apache.org/ as
>>> a custom repository in my POM, or will Maven Central eventually pick up
>>> the change?
>>

> Yes, you will need to add this repository to your pom.xml.
>
> See
> https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/archetypes/quickstart/src/main/resources/archetype-resources/pom.xml#L173
> This is the pom.xml we use for Apache Wicket archetype for -SNAPSHOT
> versions.
>
> When Tomcat developer release the modules they will go to
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/RELEASES/org/apache/tomcat/<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/tomcat/>
> and this will be sync-ed to Maven central repository.
>

>> I thought central did pick these up but a re-read of the docs says not.
>>
>> Mark

Yea, I figured out after sending this email that I just needed the following in my POM:

    <repositories>
        <repository>
            <id>apache-snapshots</id>
            <name>Apache Snapshots Repository</name>
            <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots</url>
            <layout>default</layout>
            <snapshots>
                <enabled>true</enabled>
            </snapshots>
        </repository>
    </repositories>

Re: Can Tomcat 8 snapshots be published to Maven?

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomcat/
> >>
> >> Mark
> >
> >Sweet! Thanks! So will I need to add https://repository.apache.org/ as
> >a custom repository in my POM, or will Maven Central eventually pick up
> >the change?

Yes, you will need to add this repository to your pom.xml.

See
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/archetypes/quickstart/src/main/resources/archetype-resources/pom.xml#L173
This is the pom.xml we use for Apache Wicket archetype for -SNAPSHOT
versions.

When Tomcat developer release the modules they will go to
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/RELEASES/org/apache/tomcat/<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/tomcat/>
and this will be sync-ed to Maven central repository.

> I thought central did pick these up but a re-read of the docs says not.
>
> Mark

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development

Re: Can Tomcat 8 snapshots be published to Maven?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/3/14 Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>:

> On Mar 13, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

(...)

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomcat/
>>
>> Mark
>
> Sweet! Thanks! So will I need to add https://repository.apache.org/ as a custom repository in my POM, or will Maven Central eventually pick up the change?

Unreleased versions cannot be published to Central.

Re: Can Tomcat 8 snapshots be published to Maven?

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Mar 13, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 12/03/2013 22:08, Nick Williams wrote:

>>> Scratch that. It is a manual process so nightly snapshots won't happen. Snapshots are still possible.
>>>

>> Okay. So what needs to be done to make this happen? I know nothing about publishing snapshots (or anything, for that matter) to Maven. If I can help in some way I'm willing to learn, but I imagine it takes someone with "Tomcat Authority" to publish Tomcat artifacts.
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomcat/
>
> Mark

Sweet! Thanks! So will I need to add https://repository.apache.org/ as a custom repository in my POM, or will Maven Central eventually pick up the change?

Nick

Re: Can Tomcat 8 snapshots be published to Maven?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.