Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Adam Jack <aj...@TrySybase.com> on 2003/05/07 17:51:57 UTC

No merge.xml (was RE: Packages when dist != gump...)

	There is no merge.xml anymore :-)

Shame, it seemed a helpful insight into "the final word" on how the many
bits of configuration (profile overrides in workspace, or whatever) ended
up. Does it *have to* be gone?

	To resolve all dependencies and show all the browsable workspace in the
	Gui app it takes globally 7 seconds.

Dumb question, but you are still working on HTML output also, right? GUI is
fine for a local tool, but I also need gump to work as today, as a remote
build agent w/ the UI being a WWW site. Like:

	http://build.trysybase.com/

regards

Adam

Re: No merge.xml (was RE: Packages when dist != gump...)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote, On 07/05/2003 18.07:
> Since it seems that noone knows what we are talking about, I've slapped
> on the mail a png with a shot of view.py running from the supplied
> workspace.

The png didn't pass, get it here:
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/gumpview.png

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: No merge.xml (was RE: Packages when dist != gump...)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Adam Jack wrote, On 07/05/2003 18.28:
> Now if it were wired in as an eclipse plug-in you'd have completely captured
> my interest/usage/appreciation, but I suspect that is too much to ask.

Dunno if it's possible, the fact is that's in Python.

> Even
> with that said, I need WWW more than I need GUI -- I need to automate a ton
> of builds (if I can ever got one to work).

Yup, this GUI is more for users to see aht is going on and for us now to
debug the workspaces.

> I am going to try it (albeit on Linux behind telnet, the faster side of my
> modem) once I can stop fighting the junk I'm fighting. That said, you think
> the new gump is good enough for me to do all my builds with, and give up on
> the old?

No. But maybe you can help and iron out bugs ;-)  hint...hint...

Posted by Adam Jack <aj...@TrySybase.com>.

	You can still generate it, but it's an indipendent step. Besides, the
	GUI interface shows you all this info. You gotta try it, man!

Yup, that's pretty.

Now if it were wired in as an eclipse plug-in you'd have completely captured
my interest/usage/appreciation, but I suspect that is too much to ask. Even

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Adam Jack wrote, On 07/05/2003 17.51:
> 	There is no merge.xml anymore :-)
>
> Shame, it seemed a helpful insight into "the final word" on how the many
> bits of configuration (profile overrides in workspace, or whatever) ended
> up.

You can still generate it, but it's an indipendent step. Besides, the
GUI interface shows you all this info. You gotta try it, man!

> Does it *have to* be gone?

For speed, yes. Before it was a prerequisite. Now it's an option, and
not directly used.

> 	To resolve all dependencies and show all the browsable workspace in the
> 	Gui app it takes globally 7 seconds.
>
> Dumb question, but you are still working on HTML output also, right?

Yup. Using Cheetah, it's the next thing right after making it simple to
complete a workspace with autodownload of artifacts. Attached is an
example of my workspace, and part of the output of check.py.

Suggestions are welcome, WRT going from that output to a real download
of dependencies and complection of the workspace.

> GUI is
> fine for a local tool, but I also need gump to work as today, as a remote
> build agent w/ the UI being a WWW site. Like:
>
> 	http://build.trysybase.com/

Definately.