Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Dhaivat Pandya <dh...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/28 20:06:05 UTC

Possible Length issue

Hi,

I've been working a lot with the Hadoop NameNode IPC protocol (while
building a cache layer on top of Hadoop). I've noticed that for request
packets coming from the default DFS client that do not have a method name,
the length field is often *completely *off.

For example, I've been looking at packets with length 1752330339. I thought
this might have been an issue with my cache layer, so I checked with
Wireshark, and found packets with such absurd length parameters (obviously,
the packets themselves weren't actually that long; the length field was
misrepresented).

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to test this issue on other
machines and setups (the reproducing steps should be running an "ls /" with
the default DFS client and sniffing the packets to find the length
parameter, release 1.2.1).

Is this normal behavior, a bug or something I'm missing?

Thank you,

Dhaivat

Re: Possible Length issue

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
There is a maximum length for message buffers that was introduced by
HADOOP-9676.  So messages with length 1752330339 should not be
accepted.

best,
Colin

Re: Possible Length issue

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Can you please share the details on the issue you found?

Sent from phone

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Possible Length issue