Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2000/06/03 08:30:37 UTC

Slide 1.0 TODO

Here is a list of the stuff I think is important before thinking about
releasing a 1.0 version of Slide.
Right now, Slide is quite hard to install and get up and running, mainly
because of multiple dependancies. Most of these will be removed. I've taken
that into account, and added new items into the TODO list.

Please feel free to give me +1/0/-1, and / or suggest additional features.

Here is the TODO list for Slide 1.0 :

- Merge Catalina HTTP/1.1 support (which is almost code complete)
- Enhance packaging with Catalina (catalinadav build target)
- Add a simple DAV / HTTP client library to provide :
    * Remote administration features
    * Support for DAV newest drafts
- Add an administration oriented command line tool using the DAV library
- Add a Swing based administration tool using the DAV library
- Compatibility with servlet containers
- Avalon support
- Configuration files handling rewrite
- Performance tweaks
- Provide nightly builds of the packaged DAV server
- DAV level 2 compliance (PROPPATCH is still not implemented, and locking
capabilities are not fully compliant yet)
- All the stuff which is mentioned in RELEASE-PLAN for version 1.0 (see also
STATUS.html)

Remy

Re: Slide 1.0 TODO

Posted by Federico Barbieri <sc...@betaversion.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Here is a list of the stuff I think is important before thinking about
> releasing a 1.0 version of Slide.
> Right now, Slide is quite hard to install and get up and running, mainly
> because of multiple dependancies. Most of these will be removed. I've taken
> that into account, and added new items into the TODO list.
>
> Please feel free to give me +1/0/-1, and / or suggest additional features.
>
> Here is the TODO list for Slide 1.0 :
>
> - Merge Catalina HTTP/1.1 support (which is almost code complete)
> - Enhance packaging with Catalina (catalinadav build target)
> - Add a simple DAV / HTTP client library to provide :
>     * Remote administration features
>     * Support for DAV newest drafts
> - Add an administration oriented command line tool using the DAV library
> - Add a Swing based administration tool using the DAV library
> - Compatibility with servlet containers
> - Avalon support

I will help you on that once we have a common configuration pattern.

> - Configuration files handling rewrite
> - Performance tweaks
> - Provide nightly builds of the packaged DAV server
> - DAV level 2 compliance (PROPPATCH is still not implemented, and locking
> capabilities are not fully compliant yet)
> - All the stuff which is mentioned in RELEASE-PLAN for version 1.0 (see also
> STATUS.html)
>
> Remy

Fede

Re: Slide 1.0 TODO

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > - Merge Catalina HTTP/1.1 support (which is almost code complete)

It means that I will reuse the HTTP/1.1 headers handling which I'm writing
for Catalina (like the If-Whatever headers, and the Range header, that is
used for transfer resuming; for example, you can do a GET on a resource
asking for only the first half of the file). Since the DAV GET is equivalent
to the normal HTTP GET, it should handle those too.

> > - Avalon support

http://java.apache.org/framework/

Avalon is a framework for server applications (just like the brand new JMX,
from Sun). It also handles application lifecycle, makes deploying
applications easy, ...
It's very easy to add support for it.

> Can you explain more?
>
> In addition, does the Swing-based admin tool a DAV client also?

Yes, it will use DAV to do its work, but I don't think that one will be too
generic either (same goes with the command line tool).
I think it should at least handle the functions which are either hard or
impossible to do with most DAV clients :
- User management (add / remove / edit users)
- View / edit ACLs (using the DAV ACL specs)
- View / Remove locks (some clients do that very well but others, like IE,
don't)

Remy

Re: Slide 1.0 TODO

Posted by Wong Kok Wai <wo...@pacific.net.sg>.
I don't understand what you meant by the following:

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> - Merge Catalina HTTP/1.1 support (which is almost code complete)
> - Avalon support

Can you explain more?

In addition, does the Swing-based admin tool a DAV client also?

thanks