Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Aaron Weber <aa...@ximian.com> on 2003/02/21 00:49:25 UTC

More newbie hyphenation and option flag issues with docbook.xml --> fo -->pdf

Hello all,

I've checked through the archives and FAQ, and sure enough, hyphenation
looks like a pretty common issue.... but I'm still having a little
trouble with it.

I'm using a docbook XML file which I converted to .fo using xmlto, and
I'm now trying to take that file and turn it into a PDF.

 I've got a Java runtime installed (j2re) and JAVA_HOME is set
correctly, and I've downloaded Jimi and taken the class file and put it
in my fop directory, and now I've hit a brick wall.

When I run the program like so:

[verbal@gimlet fop-0.20.5rc2]$ ./fop.sh -fop mydocument.fo -pdf
mydocument.pdf

I get a complete fop usage help message, then the output:

[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] FOP 0.20.5rc2
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[ERROR] null

at that point the program apparently crashes, returning me to the
command line and not leaving me a pdf.

(I tried this with one and two dashes in front of the flags, in case I'd
read wrong and it was --pdf and not -pdf).

It should be the same to run it with just the file names, not the flags:
./fop.sh rcserver.fo rcserver.pdf

But it isn't: it crashes in a completely different way, repeating this
warning several hundred times:

[ERROR] Error building hyphenation tree for language en
[ERROR] Couldn't find hyphenation pattern en

Which baffles me completely.

Isn't it supposed to default to en (English) when it can't find any
other hyphenation patterns? Shouldn't it give up and just not hyphenate?

Anyway, if you've got any clue about it, I'd appreciate it.

Re: Stack Trace (was: newbie hyphenation...)

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Aaron Weber wrote:
> Funny thing is, I don't know that I even *have* any tables, at least not
> that I put in myself...

DocBook might have put in something for you.

> Anyway, here's the stack trace:
> [ERROR] null
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
> org.apache.fop.fo.PropertyManager.getTextDecoration(PropertyManager.java:328)
>         at org.apache.fop.fo.FObjMixed.<init>(FObjMixed.java:28)
>         at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block.<init>(Block.java:72)
>         at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block$Maker.make(Block.java:37)
>         at
> org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:255)

This means you have content outside a flow, which is
illegal. This should not happen. Upgrade your DocBook XSL,
be sure your DocBook docs validate, and complain on the
DocBook list if this persists.

J.Pietschmann

Stack Trace (was: newbie hyphenation...)

Posted by Aaron Weber <aa...@ximian.com>.
I'll see about getting newer Docbook XSL setups and customizing them for
table widths.
Funny thing is, I don't know that I even *have* any tables, at least not
that I put in myself...

Anyway, here's the stack trace:

[ERROR] null
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException
        at
org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLineStarter.run(CommandLineStarter.java:74)
        at org.apache.fop.apps.Fop.main(Fop.java:19)

---------

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.PropertyManager.getTextDecoration(PropertyManager.java:328)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.FObjMixed.<init>(FObjMixed.java:28)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block.<init>(Block.java:72)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block$Maker.make(Block.java:37)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:255)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render(Driver.java:457)
        at
org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLineStarter.run(CommandLineStarter.java:69)

Re: More newbie hyphenation and option flag issues with docbook.xml --> fo -->pdf

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Aaron Weber <aa...@ximian.com>.
Excellent!  A quick search and replace has gotten rid of the hyphenation
problems, (language="en" --> language="en_GB") and deleting a couple
more unsupported tags has gotten rid of all my errors!

Now, I'm down to

[WARNING] table-layout=auto is not supported, using fixed!
[WARNING] current implementation of tables requires a table-column for
each column, indicating column-width
[WARNING] table-layout=auto is not supported, using fixed!
[WARNING] current implementation of tables requires a table-column for
each column, indicating column-width

a couple of..

[INFO] area contents overflows area
[INFO] area contents overflows area
[INFO] area contents overflows area

and of course at the end:
[ERROR] null

and failure. :(

Really, I want to be able to automate the Docbook XML --> PDF
transition, and avoid editing the autogenerated .fo
files by hand as much as possible (autogenerated is almost always
synonomous with "hard to edit by hand," and any sort of manual
intervention means extra opportunity for confusion, error, and trouble
when we need to regenerate after a change to the original).

We've got the XML-->HTML transition down fine, fortunately...

Any tips? I'll try & get rid of the offending table-layout issues,
but... I don't know about adding table-column width attributes to every
table in the document.

Yours,

Aaron.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.