Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rahul Jain <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/29 05:48:52 UTC

Changing the role after authentication

I am not well versed in this area of application development, so
please bear with me. Our application has a requirement where user can
change the "role" after authentication. So, a user can be associated
multiple roles, but at any given time will act as one role.

I understand these are not really "roles", they are more of a
community or user classes, but client wants to maintain the same set
of tables and since this is working in their client-server version
(where obviously they do not have to authenticate on each window),
they want to continue doing it the same way.

One idea is to update the selected role in a table and point tomcat to
that table (we are using JDBC realm) - not the best of course.

I would appreciate if anyone can share ideas on how we can implement
this requirement.

Rahul Jain