Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Andrea Florio <an...@opensuse.org> on 2015/02/28 19:02:50 UTC

[dev] apache-libcloud 0.17.0 requires backports.ssl_match_hostname

Hello,

apache libcloud requires as dependecy the
package backports.ssl_match_hostname.

The problem is that this package is required no matter what version of
python the package is built for.

When the package is built for python >= 3.4 this dependency should be
dropped as the function is built into python 3.4. as per package description

The ssl.match_hostname() function from Python 3.4

Andrea Florio - Senior Network Architect
AT&T Brno - CCIE R&S #46985
CCNA Wireless and Security, CCNP Certified
openSUSE Official Member (anubisg1)
Email: andrea@opensuse.org
Email: af973u@intl.att.com
Cell: +420-778-033288

Re: [dev] apache-libcloud 0.17.0 requires backports.ssl_match_hostname

Posted by Andrea Florio <an...@opensuse.org>.
Thanks a lot!  :-)

---
Andrea Florio -  CCIE R&S #46985
Senior Network Architect
This email has been sent via mobile phone
---

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joseph Hall <pe...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, Python 2.7.9 is the first 2.7 release to include this library.

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org> wrote:

> Good point - I do think it's reasonable to only require it for Python
> versions which don't perform hostname matching in the SSL certificates.
>
> I believe latest 2.7 version now also perform this validation by default,
> but I want to avoid too much branching / too many ifs, so we should just
> assume only versions >= 3.4 do that.
>
> I will look into it.
>
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 7:02 PM, Andrea Florio <an...@opensuse.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > apache libcloud requires as dependecy the
> > package backports.ssl_match_hostname.
> >
> > The problem is that this package is required no matter what version of
> > python the package is built for.
> >
> > When the package is built for python >= 3.4 this dependency should be
> > dropped as the function is built into python 3.4. as per package
> > description
> >
> > The ssl.match_hostname() function from Python 3.4
> >
> > --
> > Andrea Florio - Senior Network Architect
> > AT&T Brno - CCIE R&S #46985
> > CCNA Wireless and Security, CCNP Certified
> > openSUSE Official Member (anubisg1)
> > Email: andrea@opensuse.org
> > Email: af973u@intl.att.com
> > Cell: +420-778-033288

"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to be
challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard, 2011)

Re: [dev] apache-libcloud 0.17.0 requires backports.ssl_match_hostname

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.