Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 1999/08/11 21:08:21 UTC

Chunking static data?

It seems that at times, we are chunking static data.  I know that the
current www.apache.org homepage is being chunked, but I didn't see any
reason it should be.  Of course, it was a really quick scan.  I have
looked at the code and there are some comments about an undesired side
effect, but I didn't really grok the comment.  The chunked data is causing
problems for a 1.1 compliant proxy, because they have to munge the
response before they can pass it back to the requesting client, even
though the chunking wasn't really needed.

Just trying to determine if this is a bug or intended behavior.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd

Re: Chunking static data?

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> That's not a "1.1 compliant proxy" if it has trouble dealing with that
> situation.
>
> Dean

I probablly used the wrong words.  It's not that they can't deal with this
situation, but it is slowing them down, and they didn't understand why.
The person checking it had checked two sites to see if this was always
happening, and both happened to run their html pages through mod_include.
Just a case of bad luck.

Re: Chunking static data?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Re: Chunking static data?

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
yOn Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:
>

> > It seems that at times, we are chunking static data.  I know that the
> > current www.apache.org homepage is being chunked, but I didn't see any
> > reason it should be.  Of course, it was a really quick scan.
>
> www.apache.org isn't static, it's parsed by mod_include. It only looks
> static. IIRC, Apache chunks pretty much anything without a content-length.

Cool.  Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Re: Chunking static data?

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU>.

--
Alexei Kosut <ak...@cs.stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>