Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Anto Marky <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/13 09:17:45 UTC

show log issue

Hi,
I have been posting requests to sort a log issue for couple of week, My
problem is still not sorted out in my production box.But I think I am
somwhere near in sorting the issue in my test box, when I click show log my
log window shows some active changes like this.

Re: show log issue

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 14, 2008, at 10:52, Anto Marky wrote:

> I just created a new text file in my local copy added it and
> committed it using TSVN I and then tried the show log. From the cli
> I created a text file and then committed using  #svn commit --
> username mar --password ant --force-log -m "testing." but I was not
> able to commit I don't know whether the command was correct.

The command looks OK to me. What error message did you receive?

The --force-log flag is not relevant to your problem. That is only
for when you want to supply the commit message in a file, and that
file is a part of your working copy (an unusual case).

> I didn't find any manual for setting the revprops on the old versions.

I'll answer for completeness, but it's not relevant to your problem:

svn propedit --revprop -r N svn:log url://to/your/repository

where N is the revision number whose log message you want to edit.

> I have just added the path to my repos in the pre-revprop-change
> hook and my user name to it, is there any other info which should
> be added to the pre-revprop-change script?

No, and you don't need to put the path to your repository into the
hook script; it is passed that value on the command line in $1.

> and does it get activated just by assigning execute permission.

Yes, and by having the filename "pre-revprop-change".

> This is what I did, is there anything else which I should do to
> activate my pre-revprop-change hook.

No, the pre-revprop-change hook is now active. You just haven't done
anything (like trying to edit an old revision's properties) that
would trigger it.

But the pre-revprop-change hook is not relevant to your problem. That
is for if you want to change the properties on old revisions. But
you've told us that newly-created revisions are also missing these
properties. That is what we need to focus on fixing. Unfortunately I
have no idea what could make Subversion not record the log message
and date properties.

Re: show log issue

Posted by Anto Marky <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for giving the vague summary,

I just created a new text file in my local copy added it and committed it
using TSVN I and then tried the show log. From the cli I created a text file
and then committed using  #svn commit --username mar --password ant
--force-log -m "testing." but I was not able to commit I don't know whether
the command was correct.I didn't find any manual for setting the revprops on
the old versions.

I have just added the path to my repos in the pre-revprop-change hook and my
user name to it, is there any other info which should be added to the
pre-revprop-change script? and does it get activated just by assigning
execute permission.

This is what I did, is there anything else which I should do to activate my
pre-revprop-change hook.

Thanks

Marky

Re: show log issue

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Re: show log issue

Posted by Anto Marky <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,

Sorry to bother you again, I went through the two links you sent and some
other links got googling but still unable to get them.These are the things I
did

First I tried by just copying the pre-revprop-change.tmpl to
pre-revprop-change and assigned executable permission to the file and then I
did a commit and then then I tried svn log but still got the same out put

>     ------------------------------
>     >     > r2 | (no author) | (no date) | 1 line
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >

>     >     > r1 | (no author) | (no date) | 1 line

Then I copied all the tmpl files to files without the tmpl extension and
tried a commit from TSVN there I got the error

Commit
D:\New Folder (3)\New Folder
Commit failed (details follow):
Commit blocked by start-commit hook (exit code 1) with output:
/home/svn/BLE_REPOS/hooks/start-commit: line 61: commit-allower.pl: command
not found

As it said an error in commit-allower.pl I added user to the script and the
path to the repository but still I got the same error.

Then I removed all other scripts from the hooks director except the
pre-revprop-change and added the svn path and users to it but still getting
no extra output than the

>     >     > r2 | (no author) | (no date) | 1 line
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     ------------------------------
>     >     > r1 | (no author) | (no date) | 1 line

older log.

As I am zero in scripting I didn't know what to do.

Kindly help me sort this issue.

Thanks and Regards

Marky

Re: show log issue

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Anto Marky <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the support,
>
> I changed my repository from windows to linux a week back without any
> reading of the svn book,

You did what? I hope you did a "svnadmin dump" and then a "svnadmin
load" in order to move your repository...

You cannot normally move a repository between different OSs and
different architectures by simply moving the repository directories.
There are formatting issues that can cause problems.

I wonder if this is why you're not getting the log messages and author names...

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: show log issue

Posted by Anto Marky <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the support,

I changed my repository from windows to linux a week back without any
reading of the svn book, that's the main reason for the issue.I will go
through the link and get back if I have any problem.

Thanks a lot

Re: show log issue

Posted by Anto Marky <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,

Re: show log issue

Posted by Anto Marky <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,

Re: show log issue

Posted by Anto Marky <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,

When I try from my CLI i get this output

r2 | (no author) | (no date) | 1 line

r1 | (no author) | (no date) | 1 line

I am using svn://svn co to checkout.

I am trying to figure this out for more than a week still not able to solve
this issue.

Kindly help me

Thanks and Regards

Marky