Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joshua Szmajda <jo...@loki.ws> on 2003/05/02 15:32:30 UTC

clustered app, tomcat 4.1.18, struts 1.1-rc1, Memory Leaks?

Hi all,

I've written a fairly large forum application that lives on 5 machines
spread across each of the US's coasts. It serves up to 600 people at any
given time, and there are about 15,000 users on the system.

The application is written using Struts 1.1 and runs on Tomcat 4.1.18. I
also use Lucene for search capability and DBCP for database
connectivity. The database is Mysql 3.23.51. The host environment is
Solaris 8. The webservers are Netra X1's with 1Gb memory each, and the
two database servers are E440's with 2Gb memory each.

My problem is that everything keeps crashing. The longest uptime I've
been able to squeeze out of any java VM is 7:28, and that was in the
middle of the night under minimal usage. The reason it crashes is that
the VM runs out of memory. I've configured the VM with all sorts of
different -Xms and -Xmx options, ranging from ms=300 and mx=900 to
ms=900 and mx=1000.

I have used a profiler on this project extensivly. I start the profiler,
then I run a suite of tests using JMeter on the app. I have simulated up
to 200 users at once on my own machine. The VM exhibits a very normal
graph of memory usage and garbage collection. I can leave the test
running for hours and not see any memory leakage.

My question is: what am I missing? We chose to write this application in
java because we felt that java would be a more robust solution, but
lately that decision is being questioned. The crashing has caused no end
of problems on the board, even with JDBC Session Management (which did
help when we implemented it).

Any and all comments/suggestions are very welcome! If you wish to see
the graphs of memory usage, please go here:
http://adamstechcenter.dyndns.org:82/
ca01 and ca02 are configured with -Xms640 -Xmx900
ba02 is -Xms400 -Xmx900
ba03 is -Xms300 -Xmx600
ba06 is -Xms200 -Xmx800

Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for taking the time to read
this post! I apologize for the cross-posting, but I wasn't sure which
list would be better suited to the question.

-Joshua Szmajda

RESOLUTION: clustered app, tomcat 4.1.18, struts 1.1-rc1, Memory Leaks?

Posted by Joshua Szmajda <jo...@loki.ws>.
So I found out the problem was the fact that we are using Lucene as the
search tool, and somehow doing searches starts up a bunch of threads and
never closes them. Everything involved in searching is page-scope, so
I'm kinda clueless as to how this is, but it's all separated out into
its own server and the forum is very happy :)

Thanks to all who helped!

-Joshua Szmajda

Re: clustered app, tomcat 4.1.18, struts 1.1-rc1, Memory Leaks?

Posted by Joshua Szmajda <jo...@loki.ws>.
Thanks, I'll try and get to that as soon as I can

-Josh

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joshua Szmajda <jo...@loki.ws>.
I've only ever run this app on Sun's JVM 1.4.1. Perhaps it is a VM issue?
I left off the trailing 'm's in the email because I forgot them ;)
They're on in the actual scripts.
-Josh

Posted by Joshua Szmajda <jo...@loki.ws>.
wow, well I upped the descriptors to "unlimited", and that caused 2
java's to startup instead of one.. so I pushed it down to "2048". We'll
see where that gets us.

Tim Funk wrote:

> > open files                  256
>
> 256 is too small for "open files" ... way way way way way way way too
> small.
>
> And its too small.
>
> Running out of file descriptors will cause an OutMemoryException.
> (Real descriptive exception heh?)
>
> -Tim
>
> Joshua Szmajda wrote:
>
>> hmm, I guess Solaris dosen't have a "memory" part, my server gives me
>> this:
>>
>> # ulimit -a
>> core file size (blocks)     unlimited
>> data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
>> file size (blocks)          unlimited
>> open files                  256
>> pipe size (512 bytes)       10
>> stack size (kbytes)         8192
>> cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
>> max user processes          17813
>> virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited
>>
>> Do you think the fixed stack size is a problem?

>> mysql's website (latest version, can't remember offhand). This server
>> is limiting max open files to 256, do you think that's a problem?
>>
>> -Josh
>>
>> mike jackson wrote:
>>
>>> Actually the important one is "memory", virtual memory is something
>>> else.  On my box it's setup like this:
>>>
>>> $ ulimit -a
>>> time(seconds)        unlimited
>>> file(blocks)         unlimited
>>> data(kbytes)         unlimited
>>> stack(kbytes)        16384
>>> memory(kbytes)       unlimited
>>> coredump(blocks)     unlimited
>>> nofiles(descriptors) 1024

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by mike jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
Don't think so.  Could be, but I doubt it.  However it's not to hard to
increase the limit, do a man ulimit (I can't remember offhand) and it
ought to tell you how.

--mikej
-=------
mike jackson