Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Brent Johnson <bl...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/14 18:16:34 UTC

Scalability, Performance, Stability

First, I've been working with Cocoon (on and off) since the 1.x days,
starting around maybe 5-6 years ago.  I've just recently (in the past
year or so) moved away from XSP and into the wonderful world of Flow
and JXTemplates.

I've been writing a web application (intranet application, not
"public" website) that I just demo'd to my boss this morning.  Well,
he loved it, got all excited and started talking about the "future" of
this application.

Now, I should be happy, right?  I am, but also have grown a little
uneasy.  Has anyone out there rolled out a database intensive web
application or web site using Cocoon 2.x?  I don't mean some small
traffic website for personal, or small business use.

My boss is talking about taking this full web application I'm writing
and selling it as a "product" in the healthcare industry.  Right now,
I'm having problems with Hibernate and Flow, nothing (hopefully)
serious.

I'm just getting a little uneasy now, wondering how Cocoon 2.x (and
Hibernate) is going to perform when querying against a possibly huge
(although thats an objective term) database.

For example, one of our live website projects is an intranet site
running under Cocoon 2.1.5 for a customer.  It's fairly low traffic,
and uses XSP (no flow or jxtemplates).  But still, after 4-6 weeks the
site just stops responding and I have to restart the Linux networking
service and Tomcat to restore the site.  I'm upgrading to 2.1.7 asap
to see if this fixes the problem (I was told in a previous email to
this list about a file handle problem).

I just can't have something like this happening on a product we're
selling to customers.

Sorry for the long babbling email, I'm just wondering what sort of
experiences other Cocoon users have had rolling out similar
applications or sites with Cocoon 2.x.  How is it with scalability,
performance and stability?

Thanks,

- Brent

Re: Scalability, Performance, Stability

Posted by "beyanet.com" <be...@yahoo.co.uk>.
>First, I've been working with Cocoon (on and off) since the 1.x days,
>starting around maybe 5-6 years ago.  I've just recently (in the past
>year or so) moved away from XSP and into the wonderful world of Flow
>and JXTemplates.

Brent,
cocoon, hibernate, and postgreSQL have been used to develop our
online record label.We have had no performance issues and believe
that the technology, due to it's ongoing development, leaves more
than enough scaleability, to allow our us to grow as and when we need.

Take a look at our site at www.beyarecords.com.

regards

Ken

Re: Scalability, Performance, Stability

Posted by Brent Johnson <bl...@gmail.com>.
I haven't tried it with Jetty yet.  I've just been using Tomcat.  I'll
definitely give Jetty a try next week and see how that works out.

Thanks for the reply,

- Brent

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@apache.org>.

--
Leszek Gawron
lgawron@apache.org

Re: Scalability, Performance, Stability

Posted by André Thénot <an...@thenot.org>.
On Apr 16, 2005, at 6:15, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> If your system crashes in normal use, there must be a way to crash it
> in the lab as well, where it's much easier to debug and do post-mortem
> analyses. Often, just running a few tens of wget loops in a shell will
> show problems already.

And if I may add to this, when doing load testing, have the requests
come from a different machine, and make sure you know that the tool you
use actually works for the scenario you are testing. I saw a client who
was wondering why their Cocoon site wouldn't scale when in fact it was
the tool they were using (jMeter) which was having trouble parsing the
results fast enough in certain cases...

A.

Re: Scalability, Performance, Stability

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 16 avr. 05, à 11:58, gounis@osmosis.gr a écrit :
> ....i'm impressed that you have NOT to restart the container for a
> long time
>
> we serve about 10 static websites from the same cocoon instance. the
> load
> is very low (about 20-30 uniq vistors per site). commonly we have to
> restart container (tomcat)..

As I said, the nouvo.ch setup is rock solid, not a very big load but
serving a few thousand pages a day, a few hundred thousand hits...and
running on the stock Jetty (and Cocoon 2.1.5, forgot to mention).

Nothing against Tomcat though, your mileage may vary...if something's
not running reliably the important thing is to find out exactly what
the failure scenario is!

We ran quite strong stress tests before going online, and this allowed
us to find a few issues in our code and configurations, which certainly
make a difference.

If your system crashes in normal use, there must be a way to crash it
in the lab as well, where it's much easier to debug and do post-mortem
analyses. Often, just running a few tens of wget loops in a shell will
show problems already.

-Bertrand

Re: Scalability, Performance, Stability

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 14 avr. 05, ΰ 18:16, Brent Johnson a ιcrit :
> > ...Sorry for the long babbling email, I'm just wondering what sort of
> > experiences other Cocoon users have had rolling out similar
> > applications or sites with Cocoon 2.x.  How is it with scalability,
> > performance and stability?..
>
> There are many examples of large-scale websites running on Cocoon, see
> http://cocoon.apache.org/link/livesites-2.1.html (and this does not
> include people who are not saying ;-)
>
> You'll also find a list at http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/GT2004Gianugo,
> excerpted from the the impressive success stories that we heard at the
> 2004 GetTogether.
>
> http://www.vnunet.com/ is a good example of a big site which runs on
> Cocoon (2.1.5 according to the HTTP headers), IIRC these guys are
> serving 50 pages per second on average.
>
> On a smaller scale, the nouvo.ch website, which I built on Cocoon last
> year with a small team, has been running very reliably since last
> September, serving content from a MySQL database mapped with OJB.
>
> The last Cocoon restart there was in January after a software update.
> It runs on Jetty with a very plain configuration. Actually I have to
> duck every time I tell this: Cocoon runs there on the standard
> cocoon.sh script, using a well-tuned apache HTTP front-end server of
> course.
>
> -Bertrand

hi bertrand

i'm impressed that you have NOT to restart the container for a long time

we serve about 10 static websites from the same cocoon instance. the load
is very low (about 20-30 uniq vistors per site). commonly we have to
restart container (tomcat)

the box is p4 2.4 1gb ram with redhat linux

i have to notice here that cocoon error logs are empty

regards

stavros

Re: Scalability, Performance, Stability

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.