Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by mck <mc...@apache.org> on 2011/12/08 10:16:30 UTC

norway's busiest website now running tiles-3

finn.no last thursday came out with an upgrade to tiles-3.

I had applied the code when testing tiles-3 in the sandbox before the
merge to trunk. Since then it's undergone testing and profiling so we've
built enough confidence to bring now a recent tiles-3 build out into
production.

For us the primary motivation was the OptionsRenderer and the
PublisherRenderer. The former making out tiles xml files _alot_ easier
to read and work with.

Performance looks great too. I was a little worried about TILES-522 (we
had patched tiles-2 to address it but now we're using a vanilla tiles-3
build). We are pushing up to 200 requests/second/jvm through the tiles-3
framework. It's hard to say for sure but it looks like tiles-3 has given
us a ~5% speed improvement. Any possible theories to this?

This puts us in a position where we'd like to push towards a beta
release of tiles-3. Nicolas: have you more things than the
tiles-request-api changes for the "3.0 horizon"?

~mck

--
"We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.

| http://tech.finn.no | http://github.com/finn-no |

Re: norway's busiest website now running tiles-3

Posted by Nicolas LE BAS <ma...@nlebas.net>.
On 11-12-09 06:05 AM, mck wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 13:47 -0500, Nicolas LE BAS wrote:
>>
>> But I agree with Greg that those shouldn't stop the release of
>> 1.0-beta.
>
> api breaking changes, particularly to tiles-request, tiles-autotag,
> should be stabilised before i release i believe. So if you have more in
> this area please do bring them to attention.

Just the two I've pointed out earlier in this thread. As I said, the
rest are either additions or bugfixes.

Re: norway's busiest website now running tiles-3

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 5:05 AM, mck <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 13:47 -0500, Nicolas LE BAS wrote:
>>
>> But I agree with Greg that those shouldn't stop the release of
>> 1.0-beta.
>
> api breaking changes, particularly to tiles-request, tiles-autotag,
> should be stabilised before i release i believe.

True.

Greg

Re: norway's busiest website now running tiles-3

Posted by mck <mc...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 13:47 -0500, Nicolas LE BAS wrote:

> But I agree with Greg that those shouldn't stop the release of
> 1.0-beta.

api breaking changes, particularly to tiles-request, tiles-autotag,
should be stabilised before i release i believe. So if you have more in
this area please do bring them to attention.

~mck

--
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it.

Posted by Nicolas LE BAS <ma...@nlebas.net>.
On 11-12-08 09:14 AM, Greg Reddin wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM, mck<mc...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> finn.no last thursday came out with an upgrade to tiles-3.
>
> Congratulations, that's a nice site - even though I couldn't read any of it :-)
>
>> This puts us in a position where we'd like to push towards a beta
>> release of tiles-3. Nicolas: have you more things than the
>> tiles-request-api changes for the "3.0 horizon"?
>
> There's nothing to say we can't go ahead and cut a release now, then
> add to it later.
>
> Greg

The most impacting changes I have:
* the splitting of Request into 2 interfaces (which is ready for commit,
except for a minor name issue from mck).
* the merging of Renderer and TypeDetectingRenderer, if agreed.

But I agree with Greg that those shouldn't stop the release of 1.0-beta.

I have indeed more things waiting, but mostly additions and all of them
can wait.

Nick

Re: norway's busiest website now running tiles-3

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.