Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Ka...@thomson.com on 2005/01/13 17:51:27 UTC

perforce tasks

I notice that the perforce tasks have a failonerror attribute, but I don't see any way to set a property if there is an error.  Am I just missing something?

I've also found what I think are a few errors (or at least places that could be clarified) in the manual page for the Perforce optional tasks.

In the P4Change description:
"Request a new changelist from the Perforce server. This task sets the ${p4.change} property which can then be passed to P4Submit, P4Edit, or P4Add, or P4Delete, then to P4Submit."

I think the first P4Submit should be P4Integrate.

Also, in the section about parameters to P4Integrate, it says:
"If a branch definition is supplied, at least one of fromfile or tofile should be supplied."

Perhaps I'm mis-reading, but I think "should" ought to be "must". "Should" implys that it's optional (but a very good idea), and "must" implys it won't work if you don't do this - which is what I found to be the case. :)

Kajsa Anderson
Thomson Legal & Regulatory
Research & Development - RAD Team

Re: perforce tasks

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Kajsa.Anderson@thomson.com wrote:

>I notice that the perforce tasks have a failonerror attribute, but I don't see any way to set a property if there is an error.  Am I just missing something?

I think the failonerror attribute can just be used to make the Perforce
tasks more lenient on some type of errors; but if you say
failonerror="false", you cannot get the error(s) which happen, they are
swallowed.

>I've also found what I think are a few errors (or at least places that could be clarified) in the manual page for the Perforce optional tasks.
>
>In the P4Change description:
>"Request a new changelist from the Perforce server. This task sets the ${p4.change} property which can then be passed to P4Submit, P4Edit, or P4Add, or P4Delete, then to P4Submit."
>
>I think the first P4Submit should be P4Integrate.

Sounds true.

>Also, in the section about parameters to P4Integrate, it says:
>"If a branch definition is supplied, at least one of fromfile or tofile should be supplied."
>
>Perhaps I'm mis-reading, but I think "should" ought to be "must". "Should" implys that it's optional (but a very good idea), and "must" implys it won't work if you don't do this - which is what I found to be the case. :)

You are right. Sorry, I do not know all the subtleties of English. (or
thought that must was to coercitive on the reader of the manual).

Cheers,

Antoine Levy-Lambert