Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net> on 2004/09/09 03:36:15 UTC

Re[2]: SpamAssassin help

Hello Chris,

Wednesday, September 8, 2004, 7:15:26 AM, you wrote:

CS> Antispam should NOT happen at the client!

CS> It should happen at the ISP level. Otherwise POP3 or IMAP has already
CS> downloaded the stupid thing. Whats the sense in that? SO you don't
CS> have to read it, big whoop! Still took up your time already. ISPs
CS> need to make it easier for home users.

Agreed with your "should" and your "need." Unfortunately, it doesn't
happen.

Most of the ISPs that have installed some form of anti-spam software
don't do it well enough.  Unlike most of the admins here, who honestly
try to improve their setup and performance, most ISPs grab the software,
drop it in, and close their eyes.

My users don't need an anti-spam client, but the great majority of users
aren't that lucky. They /should/ have a client-level anti-spam program
interfaced with their email client, just for their own sanity.

Bob Menschel
(realist, at least some of the time)