Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/15 11:32:47 UTC

Re: Apache Writer converts all WORD files

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:52 AM, Dr Ian Shaw <is...@wirelessza.co.za> wrote:

> I have downloaded the equivalent of WORD (Apache Writer?) quite sometime
> ago but have noticed that all of my previous WORD file symbols were
> "automatically" converted to the symbol of Apache Writer.

The symbol change is an indication that once installed Writer became the
default program to open that type of file. It does not mean the file itself
changed. (Note that the option for Writer to be the default, or not, is
prompted for during installation.)

Question: If I use a file marked in File with the Apache Writer symbol, and
> I attach it to an e-mail, can it still be decoded (read) by someone who
> does not have Apache Writer but only WORD installed?

Yes but...

Yes if the file was saved as a Word type file. The option what file type to
save as is offered when a document is first saved.

If the file was saved as a Writer type file the recipient must either get
the Microsoft software to read the file (a free extension for Word from
Microsoft) or download Apache OpenOffice and use that to read the file.

Note: if the recipient only needs to read but not edit the file Writer has
the ability to create a .pdf. This can be found in the menu at "File |
Export as PDF..."

Re: Apache Writer converts all WORD files

Posted by japples <ja...@europa.com>.
Thank you so much, I had wondered why programs (including Open Office)
have "export to" / "print to" pdf rather than "save to" pdf format.  PDF
format is more of an Adobe propriety graphic file that edits well with
Adobe Acrobat.

Jack

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
On 15 Apr 2014, at 05:32, Alan B <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note: if the recipient only needs to read but not edit the file Writer has
> the ability to create a .pdf. This can be found in the menu at "File |
> Export as PDF..

Why, pray tell, isn't this an option under 'Save As'???

jt