Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2008/04/02 00:13:40 UTC

Re: [docs] Initial Import Best Practice

Hi Robert,

I just went through this exercise with another project, and I now
believe best practice is to import the files with the original
copyright notices intact and then as part of the evolution of the
project, modify the files to the new Apache headers, moving the
copyright notices to the NOTICE file at the root of the svn repo.

I'd even go farther and say that best practice is to import the files
with their original package names (Java projects) even though they
will subsequently be moved to a new location in svn. The svn commit
notice should have a comment to the effect of "Initial import to
Apache with original license headers" so nit-pickers don't complain
about checking code into Apache with wrong license headers (me guilty).

I think it's less important exactly where the files are checked in
originally. It might be best practice to check them directly into a
<project>/trunk/import/src/ directory, change the headers, svn copy
them into place (renaming them to the correct file names) and finally
change the package names inside the files.

This practice allows folks who are doing due diligence to see the code
provenance in the Apache repository without having to scour the
internet trying to find the original code. And anyone, including those
with a copyright interest in the original code, can see exactly what
happened.

Craig

On Mar 13, 2008, at 1:20 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> i'm trying to pull together some best practice documentation for the
> initial
> code import. i'm going to throw some (quite possibly incoherent)
> opinions
> out there to start discussion but if anyone has opinions feel free
> to ignore
> the strawman...
>
> IMO the original sources covered by the appropriate agreement should
> be
> available as part of the public record of the project. JIRA most
> likely
> covers this. checking in the unconverted code most definitely covers
> this
> (where? into a stage/inport directory? into position?). it is better
> convert the originals outside and commit only cleaned up code to the
> repository? (this has the advantage that uncleaned code is not
> committed to
> the code stream). useful tools for relicensing (i know about those in
> committers)?
>
> - robert

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [docs] Initial Import Best Practice

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
>  I just went through this exercise with another project, and I now believe
> best practice is to import the files with the original copyright notices
> intact and then as part of the evolution of the project, modify the files to
> the new Apache headers, moving the copyright notices to the NOTICE file at
> the root of the svn repo.

i've committed a first draft along the lines suggested. please jump in
and patch improvements

- robert